The Secret Deafie is a series of anonymous columns written by different writers. Our first contributor* tells us about an unsavory incident on a bus home…
A few weeks ago, I was on a bus home with my girlfriend when a man in his mid-30s wearing hearing aids got on.
Both of us hadn’t seen him around before, even though we’ve lived in the same area for years. He walked through the bus before sitting down a few rows behind us.
A moment later, I looked round and just then, I saw the deaf man sneeze, heavily, twice.
Then the hearing man sitting next to him said something . I didn’t lipread exactly what it was, but he had a friendly look on his face. It looked like “bless you.”
The deaf man wasn’t looking at him when he said it, so he couldn’t see exactly what he said. But his reaction was to suddenly look up at him, angrily, and shout “I’M DEAF!” Everyone on the bus looked round.
The deaf man then got up in a huff, shaking his head, before sitting in the empty seat behind them. The hearing man looked mortified and a bit confused about what had happened.
As we got off the bus to walk home, I realised something.
This was the first time I’d ever found myself on the hearing person’s side.
*Transcribed by Editor Charlie Swinbourne from BSL.
Do you have a story or experience you’d like to share? If you’d like to write a Secret Deafie column, just email firstname.lastname@example.org .
The Limping Chicken is the UK’s deaf blogs and news website, and is the world’s most popular deaf blog. It is edited by Deaf journalist and filmmaker Charlie Swinbourne.
- Phonak: innovative technology and products in hearing acoustics
- Ai-Live: Check out the 6 best deaf subreddits!
- Bellman & Symfon: home alerting solutions
- Deaf Umbrella: sign language interpreting and communications support
- Clarion: BSL/English interpreting and employment services
- Appa: Communication services for Deaf, Deafblind and hard of hearing people
- SignVideo: Instant BSL video interpreting online
- 121 Captions: captioning and speech-to-text services
- Hearing Direct: Online hearing aids
- Doncaster School for the Deaf: education for Deaf children
- Signworld: online BSL learning and teaching materials
- DCAL: Find out how to study at the Deafness Cognition and Language Research Centre, London
- Signed Culture: Access to culture in BSL
- Sarah Gatford: BSL interpreting, training and consultancy
- SignHealth: healthcare charity for Deaf people
- CJ Interpreting: communication support in BSL
- Sign Solutions:, language and learning
- Sign Lingual: BSL interpreting and communication services
- Action Deafness Communications: sign language and Red Dot online video interpreting
- SDHH: Project Development and Consultancy
- Mykasoft: Deaf-run Web Design Studio
- BSLcourses.co.uk: Provider of online BSL courses
- British Society for Mental Health and Deafness: Promoting positive mental health for deaf people
- deafPLUS: Money advice line in BSL
- Hamilton Lodge School in Brighton: education for Deaf children
- Lipspeaker UK: specialist lipspeaking support
- Ozen: Australian hearing aid specialists
- Elmfield School, Bristol: Inclusive education for Deaf pupils
- RAD: tax advice for Deaf people
- Krazy Kat: visual theatre with BSL
- Exeter Deaf Academy: education for Deaf children