An NHS consultant, whose daughter is deaf, has co-written an article calling for more interpreters to be made available for deaf British Sign Language (BSL) users.
Dr Andrew Alexander, who works at Bath’s Royal United Hospital, has co-written an article in leading medical journal The Lancet called ‘Deafness might damage your health.” The article looks at communication between the patient and the doctor.
In an article called Deaf people get a raw deal on the NHS, This is Bath website quotes Dr Alexander as saying:
“Relying on lip-reading is inadequate as lip-readers understand only part of a conversation and use guesswork to fill the gaps. Written notes are unsatisfactory too, as many deaf people have often had poor quality education and may have a lower than average literacy. A qualified interpreter should always be present in a consultation between a clinician and a deaf patient who uses BSL to enable better two-way communication.”
Read the full article here: http://www.thisisbath.co.uk/Deaf-people-raw-deal-NHS-ndash-medic/story-15589971-detail/story.html
uk deaf news british
The Limping Chicken is the world's most popular Deaf blog, and is edited by Deaf journalist and filmmaker Charlie Swinbourne. Find out how to write for us by clicking here, how to follow us by clicking here, and read our disclaimer here.
The site exists thanks to our supporters. Check them out below:
- Signature: Leading awarding body for BSL qualifications
- Ai-Media: Remote captioning. Find out about 6 awesome accessibility apps!
- Bellman & Symfon: home alerting solutions
- Deaf Umbrella: sign language interpreting and communications support
- Eyewitness Media: TV and film from a Deaf perspective
- Appa: Communication services for Deaf, Deafblind and hard of hearing people
- SignLive: Online video interpreting for Deaf people
- SignVideo: Instant BSL video interpreting online
- 121 Captions: captioning and speech-to-text services
- The National Theatre: Captioned and BSL accessible theatre in London
- Doncaster School for the Deaf: education for Deaf children
- Signworld: Learn BSL online!
- Action Deafness Communications: sign language and Red Dot online video interpreting
- BSLcourses.co.uk: Provider of online BSL courses
- Association of Notetaking Professionals: The professional body representing Electronic and Manual Notetakers
- Sign Solutions: communication support, training and translation
- InterpretersLive: On demand BSL video interpretation
- Hamilton Lodge School in Brighton: education for Deaf children
- Lipspeaker UK: specialist lipspeaking support
- Ozen: Australian hearing aid specialists
- Elmfield School, Bristol: Inclusive education for Deaf pupils
- deafPLUS: BSL advice helpline
- Exeter Deaf Academy: education for Deaf children
- Royal Shakespeare Company: Captioned and BSL interpreted performances (see dates here)
- Royal School for the Deaf, Derby: Residential education for deaf children
- RAD Tax Advice: Tax and Tax Credit info for Deaf people
- Performance Interpreting: BSL interpreting at concerts
- National Deaf Children's Society: The leading charity for deaf children
- Signed Culture: Advocating for BSL access to arts and culture
- SignHealth: healthcare charity for Deaf people
- CJ Interpreting: communication support in BSL
- British Society for Mental Health and Deafness: Promoting positive mental health for deaf people