When you’re starting out as a person born into debt – or you’re suffering from sudden saving loss – it’s important you get all the advice you can.
Luckily, leading deaf debt advisor Bazza Deaf has helped us compile a list of the leading debt organisations in the UK. Don’t thank us – no, really, don’t. Thank him. From the bottom of your debt-ridden heart.
British Debt Association
A user-led organisation for people who embrace debt culture and campaign for the rights of people who are in debt.
Royal National Institution for the Debts
Represent 9 million people who are in debts and successfully campaigned to get the Bank of England to reduce the interest rate, thereby making more people spend and get into debts. They are aiming to represent 15 million people who are in debt by the end of the year. They have re-branded calling themselves “Action Against Saving Gains”
National Debt Children Society
It is their policy to ensure that parents have an informed decision to decide whether or not their children should have credit cards.
They are only slightly in debt and would rather be saving
They grew up in debt but went to school with savers
These people used to have many credit cards and have now consolidated them into one large debt
They prefer to receive their debt statements by fax
Saving Dogs for the Debt
Dogs who help their owners offset their very large vet fees.
For people who declare themselves bankrupt
Council for the Advancement of Communication with Debt People
An examination body to check if the signatures are valid on all the financial documentations. They have now rebranded themselves as “Signature” to help people sign up for more debt.
Debt Cultural Centre
A meeting place for debt collectors
Getting people into debt first time. Every time.
Bazza Deaf is a permanently resting Actor with a day job as an Accountant. A fomer Soap TV Star who acted as an Extra in Channel 4`s Brookside. A Comedic Writer for British Deaf News. Volunteers for almost anything, much to Her Ladyship’s annoyance. Check out his website www.bazzadeaf.com or follow him on Twitter: @BazzaDeaf
The Limping Chicken is the world's most popular Deaf blog, and is edited by Deaf journalist and filmmaker Charlie Swinbourne. Find out how to write for us by clicking here, how to follow us by clicking here, and read our disclaimer here.
The site exists thanks to our supporters. Check them out below:
- Signature: Leading awarding body for BSL qualifications
- Ai-Media: Remote captioning. Find out about 5 funny ways to use captions!
- Bellman & Symfon: home alerting solutions
- Deaf Umbrella: sign language interpreting and communications support
- Eyewitness Media: TV and film from a Deaf perspective
- Appa: Communication services for Deaf, Deafblind and hard of hearing people
- SignLive: Online video interpreting for Deaf people
- SignVideo: Instant BSL video interpreting online
- 121 Captions: captioning and speech-to-text services
- The National Theatre: Captioned and BSL accessible theatre in London
- Doncaster School for the Deaf: education for Deaf children
- Signworld: Learn BSL online!
- Action Deafness Communications: sign language and Red Dot online video interpreting
- BSLcourses.co.uk: Provider of online BSL courses
- Association of Notetaking Professionals: The professional body representing Electronic and Manual Notetakers
- Sign Solutions: communication support, training and translation
- InterpretersLive: On demand BSL video interpretation
- Hamilton Lodge School in Brighton: education for Deaf children
- Lipspeaker UK: specialist lipspeaking support
- Ozen: Australian hearing aid specialists
- Elmfield School, Bristol: Inclusive education for Deaf pupils
- deafPLUS: BSL advice helpline
- Exeter Deaf Academy: education for Deaf children
- Royal Shakespeare Company: Captioned and BSL interpreted performances (see dates here)
- Royal School for the Deaf, Derby: Residential education for deaf children
- RAD Tax Advice: Tax and Tax Credit info for Deaf people
- Performance Interpreting: BSL interpreting at concerts
- National Deaf Children's Society: The leading charity for deaf children
- Signed Culture: Advocating for BSL access to arts and culture
- SignHealth: healthcare charity for Deaf people
- CJ Interpreting: communication support in BSL
- British Society for Mental Health and Deafness: Promoting positive mental health for deaf people