To mark Deaf Awareness week, a number of deaf charities have got together to call on health care providers to improve access to their services for Deaf patients.
The charities involved are the British Deaf Association, SignHealth, ASLI (Association of Sign Language Interpreters), NRCPD (National Register of Communication Professionals working with Deaf and Deafblind People), Signature, Action on Hearing Loss and the British Society for Mental Health and Deafness (BSMHD).
Research carried out by the consortium of organisations in April this year highlights the poor experiences of BSL users when accessing healthcare. 84% of respondents have felt frustrated after a health appointment because no sign language interpreter was provided.
Nearly two thirds (65%) of respondents said they were either very or fairly worried that sensitive information about their health condition may have been left out in order to protect their feelings, when a family member or friend has interpreted for them. The same percentage have also felt embarrassed because a family member or friend was
interpreting for them.
Steve Powell, Chief Executive for SignHealth, added: “Worryingly, 29% of respondents have been confused about how to take their medication and 41% have left a health appointment feeling unsure about their medical condition because they couldn’t understand the interpreter.
“We feel that this is totally unacceptable and clear communication between patients and healthcare professionals is extremely important. It is essential that both parties are confident that the information has been communicated clearly.”
“We are urging people to sign a petition to give Deaf patients access to properly qualified and registered BSL interpreters.”
You can sign the petition at: http://www.petitionbuzz.com/petitions/deafaccess
By Charlie Swinbourne
The Limping Chicken is the UK’s deaf blogs and news website, and is the world’s most popular deaf blog. It is edited by Deaf journalist and filmmaker Charlie Swinbourne.
Please note that the views of the writers are their own, and not necessarily the views of the Editor or site as a whole. Read our disclaimer here.
- Rayovac: Never run out of hearing aid batteries again by subscribing!
- Ai-Media: Remote captioning. Find out how to add Live Captions to Facebook Live!
- Bellman & Symfon: home alerting solutions
- Deaf Umbrella: sign language interpreting and communications support
- Appa: Communication services for Deaf, Deafblind and hard of hearing people
- SignLive: Online video interpreting for Deaf people
- SignVideo: Instant BSL video interpreting online
- 121 Captions: captioning and speech-to-text services
- Hearing Direct: Online hearing aids
- Signature: Leading awarding body for BSL qualifications
- Signworld: Learn BSL online!
- Cast Theatre, Doncaster: The UK's the UK’s first fully BSL integrated pantomime
- The National Theatre: Captioned and BSL accessible theatre in London
- Doncaster School for the Deaf: education for Deaf children
- Sign Solutions: communication support, training and translation
- InterpretersLive: On demand BSL video interpretation
- Hamilton Lodge School in Brighton: education for Deaf children
- Lipspeaker UK: specialist lipspeaking support
- Ozen: Australian hearing aid specialists
- Elmfield School, Bristol: Inclusive education for Deaf pupils
- deafPLUS: BSL advice helpline
- Exeter Deaf Academy: education for Deaf children
- Royal Shakespeare Company: Captioned and BSL interpreted performances (see dates here)
- Royal School for the Deaf, Derby: Residential education for deaf children
- RAD Tax Advice: Tax and Tax Credit info for Deaf people
- Deaf Independent: Deaf care and support services
- Performance Interpreting: BSL interpreting at concerts
- National Deaf Children's Society: The leading charity for deaf children
- cSeeker: Deaf-led educational communication support service
- Signed Culture: Advocating for BSL access to arts and culture
- SignHealth: healthcare charity for Deaf people
- CJ Interpreting: communication support in BSL
- Action Deafness Communications: sign language and Red Dot online video interpreting
- BSLcourses.co.uk: Provider of online BSL courses
- British Society for Mental Health and Deafness: Promoting positive mental health for deaf people