Click on the titles to go to Remark’s website, then click ‘BSL’ to watch the news in beautiful sign language!
New Irish TV subtitling rules ‘will worsen’ the access to TV for Deaf viewers
The Irish television regulatory body has published new guidelines to encourage Irish TV broadcasters to increase the number of subtitled programmes being made available for Deaf TV viewers.
Premier League champions to offer BSL stadium tours
New Premier League champions Manchester City are offering its Deaf and hard of hearing fans the opportunity to take a “behind the scenes” BSL tour of Etihad Stadium in July.
Lotto cash windfall for Deaf community groups
Two Deaf community groups Deaf Action in Aberdeenshire, North East Scotland and Flintshire Deaf Children’s Society, North East Wales are celebrating after receiving lottery funding which they hope will benefit local Deaf communities.
US Congressman uses YouTube to connect with Deaf voters with help from his Deaf intern
A US congressman has featured on a viral YouTube video with a Deaf intern to show off his sign language skills and pledge his support to the US Deaf community.
Walthamstow Lunch Club Launch
Friday 11th May saw the launch of Remark! Community’s Walthamstow Lunch Club. The new Lunch Club was opened by the Mayor Cllr Geoff Walker who really enjoyed the day, and commented on what a great service the Lunch Clubs are providing the elderly deaf community.
The big Cake Bake
Remark! Community would like to say a big thank you to Lana Senchal who raised £75 for THE BIG CAKE BAKE. The money raised will go to the National Deaf Children’s Society. To thank Lana for her hard work and commitment to raise the money, Remark! Community have donated £125 to the Big Cake Bake, making a grand total of £200.00.
Deaf teenager carries Olympic Torch
16 year-old Mathew Slater was nominated for the Olympic honour as a result of his voluntary work, his positive outlook and attitude and his footballing accomplishments
From Us To You – An Inspirational Film
Ted Evans made this voluntary film, in the little spare time he had, to help inspire young deaf people. When you are young it’s sometimes hard to find role models and with this project Ted wanted to bring some role models to the screen for the young people to see.
Every Friday we feature Deaf news in British Sign Language (BSL) courtesy of our sponsor, Remark!
To find out more about the company and the services they provide, just visit their website, http://remark.uk.com.
The Limping Chicken is the world's most popular Deaf blog, and is edited by Deaf journalist and filmmaker Charlie Swinbourne. Find out how to write for us by clicking here, how to follow us by clicking here, and read our disclaimer here.
The site exists thanks to our supporters. Check them out below:
- Signature: Leading awarding body for BSL qualifications
- Ai-Media: Remote captioning. Find out about 6 awesome accessibility apps!
- Bellman & Symfon: home alerting solutions
- Deaf Umbrella: sign language interpreting and communications support
- Eyewitness Media: TV and film from a Deaf perspective
- Appa: Communication services for Deaf, Deafblind and hard of hearing people
- SignLive: Online video interpreting for Deaf people
- SignVideo: Instant BSL video interpreting online
- 121 Captions: captioning and speech-to-text services
- The National Theatre: Captioned and BSL accessible theatre in London
- Doncaster School for the Deaf: education for Deaf children
- Signworld: Learn BSL online!
- Action Deafness Communications: sign language and Red Dot online video interpreting
- BSLcourses.co.uk: Provider of online BSL courses
- Association of Notetaking Professionals: The professional body representing Electronic and Manual Notetakers
- Sign Solutions: communication support, training and translation
- InterpretersLive: On demand BSL video interpretation
- Hamilton Lodge School in Brighton: education for Deaf children
- Lipspeaker UK: specialist lipspeaking support
- Ozen: Australian hearing aid specialists
- Elmfield School, Bristol: Inclusive education for Deaf pupils
- deafPLUS: BSL advice helpline
- Exeter Deaf Academy: education for Deaf children
- Royal Shakespeare Company: Captioned and BSL interpreted performances (see dates here)
- Royal School for the Deaf, Derby: Residential education for deaf children
- RAD Tax Advice: Tax and Tax Credit info for Deaf people
- Performance Interpreting: BSL interpreting at concerts
- National Deaf Children's Society: The leading charity for deaf children
- Signed Culture: Advocating for BSL access to arts and culture
- SignHealth: healthcare charity for Deaf people
- CJ Interpreting: communication support in BSL
- British Society for Mental Health and Deafness: Promoting positive mental health for deaf people