Click on the titles to go to Remark’s website, then click ‘BSL’ to watch the news in beautiful sign language!
Johnny Depp hits back at sign language critics
Pirates of the Caribbean star Johnny Depp has hit back at those who have criticised his American Sign Language skills in Paul McCartney’s latest music video.
Indian court allows Deaf witnesses to give evidence in sign language
Deaf witnesses in India can now give evidence in trials using sign language, after a landmark Indian Supreme Court ruling.
Budget cuts force Australian college to close Auslan courses
The only college in the Australian state of Victoria to offer diplomas in Australian Sign Language (Auslan) has announced their Auslan courses will not continue next year due to state government budget cuts to the further education sector.
Deaflympics chief admits Deaflympics are going through ‘rough waters’
Deaflympics chief Craig Crowley says he is worried about the long-term future of deaf sports unless Deaf athletes are allowed to compete in the Paralympic Games.
Deaf children’s futures are under threat, NDCS claims
Deaf children’s education and wellbeing are under threat from another wave of local council budget cuts, says a leading Deaf children’s charity.
Government launches new scheme to help Deaf youth into work
The Department of Work and Pensions’ specialised scheme offers a payment of up to £2,275 to employers who take on young Deaf and disabled jobseekers through the new Work Choice programme.
Remark! attends Barking & Dagenham Deaf Awareness Event
On 9th May Diane Jarrett and Kavitha Gnanapragasam from Remark! attended Barking & Dagenham Sensory Awareness team’s annual Deaf Awareness exhibition at the Becontree Heath Leisure Centre.
A warm welcome to our new Training administrator
Remark! would like to wish a warm welcome to Dee Savage, our new Administrator and Communication Support Worker in the Training team.
Generation Game a roaring success!
On 19th May, Remark! Community hosted a deaf Generation Game event to raise money for the “Deaf-SELF” play scheme.
Surprise for Remark! Jubilee Party
It is with pleasure that Remark! Community are able to announce there will be a surprise in store this Sunday at the Diamond Jubilee Street Party. The surprise will take place at precisely 14:00 hours.
Remark! Community launch new initiative to support parents of deaf children
Charity Remark! Community know from experience how vital good communication is for deaf children and their development. That is why they have joined forces with Remark! Training to offer parents a 50% discount on course fees for British Sign Language Level 1 and Level 2 for all parents of deaf children in London and Birmingham
Every Friday we feature Deaf news in British Sign Language (BSL) courtesy of our sponsor, Remark!
To find out more about the company and the services they provide, just visit their website, http://remark.uk.com.
The Limping Chicken is the world's most popular Deaf blog, and is edited by Deaf journalist and filmmaker Charlie Swinbourne. Find out how to write for us by clicking here, how to follow us by clicking here, and read our disclaimer here.
The site exists thanks to our supporters. Check them out below:
- Signature: Leading awarding body for BSL qualifications
- Ai-Media: Remote captioning. Find out about 6 awesome accessibility apps!
- Bellman & Symfon: home alerting solutions
- Deaf Umbrella: sign language interpreting and communications support
- Eyewitness Media: TV and film from a Deaf perspective
- Appa: Communication services for Deaf, Deafblind and hard of hearing people
- SignLive: Online video interpreting for Deaf people
- SignVideo: Instant BSL video interpreting online
- 121 Captions: captioning and speech-to-text services
- The National Theatre: Captioned and BSL accessible theatre in London
- Doncaster School for the Deaf: education for Deaf children
- Signworld: Learn BSL online!
- Action Deafness Communications: sign language and Red Dot online video interpreting
- BSLcourses.co.uk: Provider of online BSL courses
- Association of Notetaking Professionals: The professional body representing Electronic and Manual Notetakers
- Sign Solutions: communication support, training and translation
- InterpretersLive: On demand BSL video interpretation
- Hamilton Lodge School in Brighton: education for Deaf children
- Lipspeaker UK: specialist lipspeaking support
- Ozen: Australian hearing aid specialists
- Elmfield School, Bristol: Inclusive education for Deaf pupils
- deafPLUS: BSL advice helpline
- Exeter Deaf Academy: education for Deaf children
- Royal Shakespeare Company: Captioned and BSL interpreted performances (see dates here)
- Royal School for the Deaf, Derby: Residential education for deaf children
- RAD Tax Advice: Tax and Tax Credit info for Deaf people
- Performance Interpreting: BSL interpreting at concerts
- National Deaf Children's Society: The leading charity for deaf children
- Signed Culture: Advocating for BSL access to arts and culture
- SignHealth: healthcare charity for Deaf people
- CJ Interpreting: communication support in BSL
- British Society for Mental Health and Deafness: Promoting positive mental health for deaf people