Wow. We blinked and then it was June. But so, so much happened in May. Here’s just a few of the articles we published last month to serve you, our faithful readers.
First up is the highest-viewed article of the month, Things that only happen to deaf people. So popular, that there’s a second instalment coming right up… watch this space!
Just behind that was the second part of our live blog from Deaffest last weekend. Take a look and get a full idea of all the ins and outs and awards from Wolverhampton. Was it really only a week ago? My head’s still sore…
Amazingly, the third most viewed article in May was one that was actually published in March. Round of applause to Donna Williams, whose S*** people say… to sign language interpreters is still being viewed across the world two months later!
It was great this month to have some of the writers from our earliest weeks back with great articles. William Mager told us why mocking Roy Hodgson’s speech really wasn’t ok, while Emily Howlett revealed some of the things she makes Text Relay operators say. That sort of rhymed, didn’t it?
It was also great to have some new writers on board. Lana Senchal asked why Deaf people have to pay to learn BSL, Gary Thomas told us about coming out as being deaf, and – in one of my favourite pieces ever on this site, Ceilidh O’Sullivan revealed how she set up a deaf school in Uganda.
We’ve got loads of exciting writing on the way, so make sure you stay tuned for June!
Charlie Swinbourne, Editor
The Limping Chicken is supported by Deaf media company Remark!, training and consultancyDeafworks, provider of sign language services Deaf Umbrella, the National Deaf Children’s Society’s Look, Smile Chat campaign, and the National Theatre’s captioned plays.
The Limping Chicken is the world's most popular Deaf blog, and is edited by Deaf journalist and filmmaker Charlie Swinbourne. Find out how to write for us by clicking here, how to follow us by clicking here, and read our disclaimer here.
The site exists thanks to our supporters. Check them out below:
- Signature: Leading awarding body for BSL qualifications
- Ai-Media: Remote captioning. Find out about 6 awesome accessibility apps!
- Bellman & Symfon: home alerting solutions
- Deaf Umbrella: sign language interpreting and communications support
- Eyewitness Media: TV and film from a Deaf perspective
- Appa: Communication services for Deaf, Deafblind and hard of hearing people
- SignLive: Online video interpreting for Deaf people
- SignVideo: Instant BSL video interpreting online
- 121 Captions: captioning and speech-to-text services
- The National Theatre: Captioned and BSL accessible theatre in London
- Doncaster School for the Deaf: education for Deaf children
- Signworld: Learn BSL online!
- Action Deafness Communications: sign language and Red Dot online video interpreting
- BSLcourses.co.uk: Provider of online BSL courses
- Association of Notetaking Professionals: The professional body representing Electronic and Manual Notetakers
- Sign Solutions: communication support, training and translation
- InterpretersLive: On demand BSL video interpretation
- Hamilton Lodge School in Brighton: education for Deaf children
- Lipspeaker UK: specialist lipspeaking support
- Ozen: Australian hearing aid specialists
- Elmfield School, Bristol: Inclusive education for Deaf pupils
- deafPLUS: BSL advice helpline
- Exeter Deaf Academy: education for Deaf children
- Royal Shakespeare Company: Captioned and BSL interpreted performances (see dates here)
- Royal School for the Deaf, Derby: Residential education for deaf children
- RAD Tax Advice: Tax and Tax Credit info for Deaf people
- Performance Interpreting: BSL interpreting at concerts
- National Deaf Children's Society: The leading charity for deaf children
- Signed Culture: Advocating for BSL access to arts and culture
- SignHealth: healthcare charity for Deaf people
- CJ Interpreting: communication support in BSL
- British Society for Mental Health and Deafness: Promoting positive mental health for deaf people