Click on the titles to go to Remark’s website, then click ‘BSL’ to watch the news in beautiful sign language!
Two out of five Deaf children ‘miss out’ on swimming lessons
Deaf children are missing out on opportunities to learn to swim because of excessive concerns about health and safety and a lack of understanding about deafness, says the National Deaf Children’s Society (NDCS)
Deaf dog owner’s anger at rail safety fence ‘u-turn’
A Deaf woman, whose hearing dog was killed by a train, has hit out at Network Rail for refusing to build new safety fencing along a stretch of railway track through Harlow Town Park.
EU guidelines for Deaf and disabled air passengers released
Deaf and disabled air passengers are still facing “unjustified refusals” from airlines, the European Commission said.
Channel 4 and Touchpaper launch new scheme for emerging filmmakers
For the fourth year running, Touchpaper is producing COMING UP – the only talent scheme currently in the UK where emerging filmmakers have the opportunity to make an authored drama with a guaranteed network broadcast.
Remark! Translation celebrates their 1000th Project
Last week Remark! Translation had a cake to celebrate their 1000th project. With only six months into the year, Remark! Translation have churned out a staggering number of projects from Broadcast, Government agencies to small independent charities and individuals.
US National Association of the Deaf comes out in support of gay marriage
The National Association of the Deaf (NAD) – a civil rights organisation campaigning for Deaf people’s rights in the United States – has announced their support for equal marriage rights for gay and lesbian couples.
Malcolm Bruce knighted in Queen’s birthday honours
Liberal Democrat MP, Malcolm Bruce, who is involved with Deaf charities, is being knighted for public and political services.
Deaf Kurdish man accused of supporting terrorism
An illiterate Deaf Kurdish man is accused by a Turkish prosecutor of supporting terrorism after he was charged with making propaganda for the banned Kurdistan Workers’ Party (PKK).
Remark! Jubilee Street Party Exclusive Footage
Did you miss the glorious street party, hosted by Remark! Community and BDA, held on Sunday 3rd of June? Or do you want to relive that rainy day where everybody who is anybody of the Deaf community came together? Look no further than here!
Free BSL Taster Session
Do you have an interest in learning sign language? Do you want to find out more before enrolling on to your first course? Then come and join us on Tuesday 26th June 2012 for a BSL Taster session!
New BSL Level 1 – Don’t miss out
Remark! Training are about to host a fun and engaging intensive Level 1 courses in London. Register now to avoid disappointment!
Deaf Issues – Independence, Integration and Deaf leadership
Attendees at the first Remark! Deaf Issues seminar on Tuesday 12th June discussed the topics of independence, integration and Deaf leadership
New tutor recruited for NVQC Level 3 Course
Due to popular demand Remark! Training has recruited a new tutor, John Mancini, to deliver their new NVQC Level 3 course this September
Every Friday we feature Deaf news in British Sign Language (BSL) courtesy of our sponsor,Remark! To find out more about the company and the services they provide, just visit their website, http://remark.uk.com.
The Limping Chicken is the world's most popular Deaf blog, and is edited by Deaf journalist and filmmaker Charlie Swinbourne.
The site exists thanks to our supporters. Check them out below:
- Signature: Leading awarding body for BSL qualifications
- Ai-Media: Remote captioning. Find out the benefits of live captioning at university!
- Bellman & Symfon: home alerting solutions
- Deaf Umbrella: sign language interpreting and communications support
- BSL Zone: TV programmes in BSL for the Deaf community
- Stellar Communications: Speech-to-Text services
- Appa: Communication services for Deaf, Deafblind and hard of hearing people
- SignLive: Online video interpreting for Deaf people
- SignVideo: Instant BSL video interpreting online
- 121 Captions: captioning and speech-to-text services
- Eyewitness Media: TV and film from a Deaf perspective
- The National Theatre: Captioned and BSL accessible theatre in London
- Doncaster School for the Deaf: education for Deaf children
- Signworld: Learn BSL online!
- Helen Foulkes Translations: BSL translations
- RAD Tax Advice: Tax and Tax Credit info for Deaf people
- Performance Interpreting: BSL interpreting at concerts
- National Deaf Children's Society: The leading charity for deaf children
- Signed Culture: Advocating for BSL access to arts and culture
- SignHealth: healthcare charity for Deaf people
- CJ Interpreting: communication support in BSL
- British Society for Mental Health and Deafness: Promoting positive mental health for deaf people
- Action Deafness Communications: sign language and Red Dot online video interpreting
- BSLcourses.co.uk: Provider of online BSL courses
- Association of Notetaking Professionals: The professional body representing Electronic and Manual Notetakers
- Sign Solutions: communication support, training and translation
- InterpretersLive: On demand BSL video interpretation
- Hamilton Lodge School in Brighton: education for Deaf children
- Lipspeaker UK: specialist lipspeaking support
- Hearing Choices: Australian hearing aid specialists
- Elmfield School, Bristol: Inclusive education for Deaf pupils
- deafPLUS: BSL advice helpline
- Exeter Deaf Academy: education for Deaf children
- Royal Shakespeare Company: Captioned and BSL interpreted performances (see dates here)
- Royal School for the Deaf, Derby: Residential education for deaf children