A five-year-old boy is raising funds for Hearing Dogs for Deaf People after starting his own Olympic-style ‘torch relay’ on eBay.
Earlier this month, Logan McKerrow from Somerset made his own Olympic-style torch at school ahead of this summer’s London games and, with the help of his mum Kerry, decided to list the torch on eBay to raise money for charity after learning about the work of Hearing Dogs for Deaf People.
Since being listed on the auction website in early June, the torch has gone on to raise just short of £100 for the Charity having been bought by two eBay shoppers.
Kerry said: “When I told Logan that his torch had sold and I read out all the fantastic kind words from everyone involved, he was over the moon. The person who won the first auction was also blown away by Logan’s generosity, so much so that they wanted us to relist the torch on eBay and to try and raise some more money.
“During this listing, Logan’s granddad came up with a fabulous idea that each winning bidder and proceeding winning bidders make their own ‘torch relay’ and raise funds for Hearing Dogs for Deaf People in the process – and so the story continues!”
Michele Jennings, chief executive at Hearing Dogs for Deaf People, added: “Ever since the Charity was launched in 1982, we have relied on the generosity of the public as we are a non-government funded organisation, so to learn of such an inspiring story as Logan’s really is fantastic.”
The Limping Chicken is the world's most popular Deaf blog, and is edited by Deaf journalist and filmmaker Charlie Swinbourne.
The site exists thanks to our supporters. Check them out below:
- Signature: Leading awarding body for BSL qualifications
- Ai-Media: Remote captioning. Find out 7 things deaf people want you to know!
- Bellman & Symfon: home alerting solutions
- Deaf Umbrella: sign language interpreting and communications support
- Eyewitness Media: TV and film from a Deaf perspective
- Appa: Communication services for Deaf, Deafblind and hard of hearing people
- SignLive: Online video interpreting for Deaf people
- SignVideo: Instant BSL video interpreting online
- 121 Captions: captioning and speech-to-text services
- The National Theatre: Captioned and BSL accessible theatre in London
- Doncaster School for the Deaf: education for Deaf children
- Signworld: Learn BSL online!
- Action Deafness Communications: sign language and Red Dot online video interpreting
- BSLcourses.co.uk: Provider of online BSL courses
- Association of Notetaking Professionals: The professional body representing Electronic and Manual Notetakers
- Sign Solutions: communication support, training and translation
- InterpretersLive: On demand BSL video interpretation
- Hamilton Lodge School in Brighton: education for Deaf children
- Lipspeaker UK: specialist lipspeaking support
- Hearing Choices: Australian hearing aid specialists
- Elmfield School, Bristol: Inclusive education for Deaf pupils
- deafPLUS: BSL advice helpline
- Exeter Deaf Academy: education for Deaf children
- Royal Shakespeare Company: Captioned and BSL interpreted performances (see dates here)
- Royal School for the Deaf, Derby: Residential education for deaf children
- RAD Tax Advice: Tax and Tax Credit info for Deaf people
- Performance Interpreting: BSL interpreting at concerts
- National Deaf Children's Society: The leading charity for deaf children
- Signed Culture: Advocating for BSL access to arts and culture
- SignHealth: healthcare charity for Deaf people
- CJ Interpreting: communication support in BSL
- British Society for Mental Health and Deafness: Promoting positive mental health for deaf people