The website Boing Boing has reported how a Deaf American man has written on his blog that was called a “f***** deafie” by an airport security officer, before having his sweets taken away and eaten in front of him.
The man, who blogs as TeaAndTheatre, was going through the Louisville, Kentucky airport following a National Association for the Deaf conference, when, he writes: “While I was going through the TSA, some of them started laughing in my direction.”
He adds that they then went through his bag for no reason and found some sweets he had bought. He was told he was not allowed to fly with them, and after asking him whether he would like to donate it to the nearby Air National Guard base (which he said yes to), the guards went on to eat the sweets in front of him, laughing throughout.
It was at that point that TeaAndTheatre alleges one of the guards came up to him, pointed at his shirt, and called him a “f***** deafie.”
Mysteriously, at the time of writing, the original blog post, as well as the TeaAndTheatre tumblr account, can no longer be accessed: http://teaandtheatre.tumblr.com/post/26846647001 but that hasn’t stopped the story being picked up by a range of websites.
Read the full story on Boing Boing here: http://boingboing.net/2012/07/09/tsa-mocks-deaf-man-as-fcki.html
With thanks to William Mager.
The Limping Chicken is the world's most popular Deaf blog, and is edited by Deaf journalist and filmmaker Charlie Swinbourne.
The site exists thanks to our supporters. Check them out below:
- Signature: Leading awarding body for BSL qualifications
- Ai-Media: Remote captioning. Find out the benefits of live captioning at university!
- Bellman & Symfon: home alerting solutions
- Deaf Umbrella: sign language interpreting and communications support
- BSL Zone: TV programmes in BSL for the Deaf community
- Stellar Communications: Speech-to-Text services
- Appa: Communication services for Deaf, Deafblind and hard of hearing people
- SignLive: Online video interpreting for Deaf people
- SignVideo: Instant BSL video interpreting online
- 121 Captions: captioning and speech-to-text services
- Eyewitness Media: TV and film from a Deaf perspective
- The National Theatre: Captioned and BSL accessible theatre in London
- Doncaster School for the Deaf: education for Deaf children
- Signworld: Learn BSL online!
- Helen Foulkes Translations: BSL translations
- RAD Tax Advice: Tax and Tax Credit info for Deaf people
- Performance Interpreting: BSL interpreting at concerts
- National Deaf Children's Society: The leading charity for deaf children
- Signed Culture: Advocating for BSL access to arts and culture
- SignHealth: healthcare charity for Deaf people
- CJ Interpreting: communication support in BSL
- British Society for Mental Health and Deafness: Promoting positive mental health for deaf people
- Action Deafness Communications: sign language and Red Dot online video interpreting
- BSLcourses.co.uk: Provider of online BSL courses
- Association of Notetaking Professionals: The professional body representing Electronic and Manual Notetakers
- Sign Solutions: communication support, training and translation
- InterpretersLive: On demand BSL video interpretation
- Hamilton Lodge School in Brighton: education for Deaf children
- Lipspeaker UK: specialist lipspeaking support
- Hearing Choices: Australian hearing aid specialists
- Elmfield School, Bristol: Inclusive education for Deaf pupils
- deafPLUS: BSL advice helpline
- Exeter Deaf Academy: education for Deaf children
- Royal Shakespeare Company: Captioned and BSL interpreted performances (see dates here)
- Royal School for the Deaf, Derby: Residential education for deaf children