GUINNESS World Records™ has confirmed that the world record for the most people signing and singing a song simultaneously has been broken.
The annual sign2sing record breaker organised by Deaf healthcare charity SignHealth saw 114,277 pupils and teachers from 600 schools break the record in February.
One of the schools that took part was St Joseph’s Catholic Infants School in Aylesbury. Teacher Jean Finn said: “We had great fun in the months leading up to the record breaking event and on the day all the children enjoyed it tremendously. We’re delighted to have helped break the record. It was an engaging way for the children to learn and understand different forms of communication.”
Schools that registered for sign2sing received a DVD to help them learn and practise the song, as well as a set of new classroom resources aimed at increasing Deaf awareness.
The song, entitled ‘sign2sing’, was composed especially for the event. The lyrics were written by Garry Slack, author of the award-winning ‘Sign with Olli’ books and the music was composed by Paul Fairey, who has written theme tunes for television and radio.
The Minister of State for Children and Families, Sarah Teather MP, Actor, Louise Jameson, children’s Laureate and famous author, Julia Donaldson and children’s TV presenter, Dave Benson Phillips all supported sign2sing 2012.
The Limping Chicken is the world's most popular Deaf blog, and is edited by Deaf journalist and filmmaker Charlie Swinbourne.
The site exists thanks to our supporters. Check them out below:
- Signature: Leading awarding body for BSL qualifications
- Ai-Media: Remote captioning. Find out 7 things deaf people want you to know!
- Bellman & Symfon: home alerting solutions
- Deaf Umbrella: sign language interpreting and communications support
- BSL Zone: TV programmes in BSL for the Deaf community
- Eyewitness Media: TV and film from a Deaf perspective
- Appa: Communication services for Deaf, Deafblind and hard of hearing people
- SignLive: Online video interpreting for Deaf people
- SignVideo: Instant BSL video interpreting online
- 121 Captions: captioning and speech-to-text services
- The National Theatre: Captioned and BSL accessible theatre in London
- Doncaster School for the Deaf: education for Deaf children
- Signworld: Learn BSL online!
- Action Deafness Communications: sign language and Red Dot online video interpreting
- BSLcourses.co.uk: Provider of online BSL courses
- Association of Notetaking Professionals: The professional body representing Electronic and Manual Notetakers
- Sign Solutions: communication support, training and translation
- InterpretersLive: On demand BSL video interpretation
- Hamilton Lodge School in Brighton: education for Deaf children
- Lipspeaker UK: specialist lipspeaking support
- Hearing Choices: Australian hearing aid specialists
- Elmfield School, Bristol: Inclusive education for Deaf pupils
- deafPLUS: BSL advice helpline
- Exeter Deaf Academy: education for Deaf children
- Royal Shakespeare Company: Captioned and BSL interpreted performances (see dates here)
- Royal School for the Deaf, Derby: Residential education for deaf children
- RAD Tax Advice: Tax and Tax Credit info for Deaf people
- Performance Interpreting: BSL interpreting at concerts
- National Deaf Children's Society: The leading charity for deaf children
- Signed Culture: Advocating for BSL access to arts and culture
- SignHealth: healthcare charity for Deaf people
- CJ Interpreting: communication support in BSL
- British Society for Mental Health and Deafness: Promoting positive mental health for deaf people