Click on the titles to go to Remark’s website, then click ‘BSL’ to watch the news in beautiful sign language!
New episode of The Hub out this week!
On Monday 20th August, the next Hub programme will be arriving on your screens
35 Young Deaf People Meet From Around the World
Imagine 35 young Deaf people from all over the world coming together in one place to share stories and exchange cultural views? This is exactly what happened last week at St John’s School for the Deaf in Boston Spa near Wetherby.
Real Estate Director set to cycle length of UK to raise money for Deaf Children
Starting on August 28, the Managing Director of real estate business Dummonds, John Grimes, will embark on a twelve day cycle ride to raise money for the National Deaf Children’s Society.
Cornwall Deaf Centre Set to Re-Open
The Cornwall Deaf Centre in Camborne will re-open next month, after being closed for nearly a year.
Fundraising for World Deaf Golf Championships
Martin Anderson of Pocklington is no stranger to being a sporting ambassador for his country. He has just been named as the playing captain of the English Deaf Golf Association for the fourth year running and will be travelling to Japan in October to compete in the World Deaf Golfing Championships.
US Deaf Prisoner sues over lack of videophone
US Deaf prisoner, Larry Berke – sentenced to 24 months in prison for mail fraud – is suing the Federal Bureau of Prisons over his assignment to a prison that he claims is not equipped to service the needs of a Deaf person.
Deaf Man aims to be the first to sail around the world
Renowned sportsman [sailing and golf] and Teacher of the Deaf, Gerry Hughes, will be embarking on a solo non-stop round the world sailing voyage.
Every Friday we feature Deaf news in British Sign Language (BSL) courtesy of our sponsor, Remark! To find out more about the company and the services they provide, just visit their website, http://remark.uk.com.
The Limping Chicken is the world's most popular Deaf blog, and is edited by Deaf journalist and filmmaker Charlie Swinbourne. Find out how to write for us by clicking here, how to follow us by clicking here, and read our disclaimer here.
The site exists thanks to our supporters. Check them out below:
- Signature: Leading awarding body for BSL qualifications
- Ai-Media: Remote captioning. Find out about 6 awesome accessibility apps!
- Bellman & Symfon: home alerting solutions
- Deaf Umbrella: sign language interpreting and communications support
- Eyewitness Media: TV and film from a Deaf perspective
- Appa: Communication services for Deaf, Deafblind and hard of hearing people
- SignLive: Online video interpreting for Deaf people
- SignVideo: Instant BSL video interpreting online
- 121 Captions: captioning and speech-to-text services
- The National Theatre: Captioned and BSL accessible theatre in London
- Doncaster School for the Deaf: education for Deaf children
- Signworld: Learn BSL online!
- Action Deafness Communications: sign language and Red Dot online video interpreting
- BSLcourses.co.uk: Provider of online BSL courses
- Association of Notetaking Professionals: The professional body representing Electronic and Manual Notetakers
- Sign Solutions: communication support, training and translation
- InterpretersLive: On demand BSL video interpretation
- Hamilton Lodge School in Brighton: education for Deaf children
- Lipspeaker UK: specialist lipspeaking support
- Ozen: Australian hearing aid specialists
- Elmfield School, Bristol: Inclusive education for Deaf pupils
- deafPLUS: BSL advice helpline
- Exeter Deaf Academy: education for Deaf children
- Royal Shakespeare Company: Captioned and BSL interpreted performances (see dates here)
- Royal School for the Deaf, Derby: Residential education for deaf children
- RAD Tax Advice: Tax and Tax Credit info for Deaf people
- Performance Interpreting: BSL interpreting at concerts
- National Deaf Children's Society: The leading charity for deaf children
- Signed Culture: Advocating for BSL access to arts and culture
- SignHealth: healthcare charity for Deaf people
- CJ Interpreting: communication support in BSL
- British Society for Mental Health and Deafness: Promoting positive mental health for deaf people