Click on the titles to go to Remark’s website, then click ‘BSL’ to watch the news in beautiful sign language!
French Deaf-Friendly Theatre Comes To Britain
The acclaimed French theatre troupe, Compaigne Animotion, is set to tour the UK this coming October. Since 2004, Animotion has been creating visual theatre which is accessible to Deaf and hearing audiences through their use of mime, gesture, puppetry and acrobatics.
NDCS lobby Government to protect specialist deaf services for children
The NDCS has initiated a new e-petition which lobbies the Department of Education to urgently protect specialist services for deaf children.
Gloves that understand Sign Language? The Deaf community disagrees.
After making a splash in technology circles, the gloves had a lukewarm reception from the British Deaf community after BDA’s Paul Redfern appeared on Newsnight raising the concerns of deaf people
Deaf Health Project
Deaf Health Project questionnaire, a Big Lottery funded project researching the health of deaf people in the UK. After a successful first stage of online questionnaires the project has now moved on to the second stage.
Tessa Padden inspires the Iranian Deaf Community
Tessa Padden, a leading figure in the deaf community and the owner of Signworld, has spent three weeks in Iran working with the deaf community.
Deaf child banned from using his sign name
Hunter Spanjer, a deaf three year old from Grand Island, Nebraska, has been told he cannot use his sign name as it contravenes the schools weapons policy.
Every Friday we feature Deaf news in British Sign Language (BSL) courtesy of our sponsor, Remark! To find out more about the company and the services they provide, just visit their website, http://remark.uk.com.
The Limping Chicken is the world's most popular Deaf blog, and is edited by Deaf journalist and filmmaker Charlie Swinbourne. Find out how to write for us by clicking here, how to follow us by clicking here, and read our disclaimer here.
The site exists thanks to our supporters. Check them out below:
- Signature: Leading awarding body for BSL qualifications
- Ai-Media: Remote captioning. Find out about 5 funny ways to use captions!
- Bellman & Symfon: home alerting solutions
- Deaf Umbrella: sign language interpreting and communications support
- Eyewitness Media: TV and film from a Deaf perspective
- Appa: Communication services for Deaf, Deafblind and hard of hearing people
- SignLive: Online video interpreting for Deaf people
- SignVideo: Instant BSL video interpreting online
- 121 Captions: captioning and speech-to-text services
- The National Theatre: Captioned and BSL accessible theatre in London
- Doncaster School for the Deaf: education for Deaf children
- Signworld: Learn BSL online!
- Action Deafness Communications: sign language and Red Dot online video interpreting
- BSLcourses.co.uk: Provider of online BSL courses
- Association of Notetaking Professionals: The professional body representing Electronic and Manual Notetakers
- Sign Solutions: communication support, training and translation
- InterpretersLive: On demand BSL video interpretation
- Hamilton Lodge School in Brighton: education for Deaf children
- Lipspeaker UK: specialist lipspeaking support
- Ozen: Australian hearing aid specialists
- Elmfield School, Bristol: Inclusive education for Deaf pupils
- deafPLUS: BSL advice helpline
- Exeter Deaf Academy: education for Deaf children
- Royal Shakespeare Company: Captioned and BSL interpreted performances (see dates here)
- Royal School for the Deaf, Derby: Residential education for deaf children
- RAD Tax Advice: Tax and Tax Credit info for Deaf people
- Performance Interpreting: BSL interpreting at concerts
- National Deaf Children's Society: The leading charity for deaf children
- Signed Culture: Advocating for BSL access to arts and culture
- SignHealth: healthcare charity for Deaf people
- CJ Interpreting: communication support in BSL
- British Society for Mental Health and Deafness: Promoting positive mental health for deaf people