Click on the titles to go to Remark’s website, then click ‘BSL’ to watch the news in beautiful sign language!
Paralympics opening ceremony involves Deaf performers
The Paralympics are well and truly underway, with a stunning opening ceremony once again bringing down the house with a show of pyrotechnics and performances from all over the globe.
Punk Chef out this week!
Here’s a first for the Deaf community- a cookery programme! Punk Chef, presented by self-acclaimed punk, Scott Garthwaite, sees a family being put through their paces to change their unhealthy life style.
Liberty Festival for Deaf and Disabled celebrates tenth anniversary
The Liberty Festival created by Deaf and Disabled people celebrated their tenth anniversary this past weekend, showcasing artists from years gone by as well as new works specifically created for the weekend to coincide with the first days of the Paralympics.
Deaf woman in jail due to communication difficulties with police
Lashonn White, a deaf woman from Washington State in the USA, recently found herself being thrown in jail for failing to be understood by police officers, and obstructing an officer in the course of duty.
Theme for International Week of the Deaf 2012 is announced
The International Week of the Deaf 2012 will begin on Sept 24, with this year’s theme having been announced by WFD President Colin Allen as “Sign Bilingualism is a Human Right”.
Court case advances for deaf orphan who was held captive
A profoundly deaf orphan from Pakistan who has been illegally trafficked to the UK and allegedly beaten, raped and kept as a slave here for ten years has had some advancements in her court case.
Every Friday we feature Deaf news in British Sign Language (BSL) courtesy of our sponsor, Remark! To find out more about the company and the services they provide, just visit their website, http://remark.uk.com.
The Limping Chicken is the world's most popular Deaf blog, and is edited by Deaf journalist and filmmaker Charlie Swinbourne. Find out how to write for us by clicking here, how to follow us by clicking here, and read our disclaimer here.
The site exists thanks to our supporters. Check them out below:
- Signature: Leading awarding body for BSL qualifications
- Ai-Media: Remote captioning. Find out about 6 awesome accessibility apps!
- Bellman & Symfon: home alerting solutions
- Deaf Umbrella: sign language interpreting and communications support
- Eyewitness Media: TV and film from a Deaf perspective
- Appa: Communication services for Deaf, Deafblind and hard of hearing people
- SignLive: Online video interpreting for Deaf people
- SignVideo: Instant BSL video interpreting online
- 121 Captions: captioning and speech-to-text services
- The National Theatre: Captioned and BSL accessible theatre in London
- Doncaster School for the Deaf: education for Deaf children
- Signworld: Learn BSL online!
- Action Deafness Communications: sign language and Red Dot online video interpreting
- BSLcourses.co.uk: Provider of online BSL courses
- Association of Notetaking Professionals: The professional body representing Electronic and Manual Notetakers
- Sign Solutions: communication support, training and translation
- InterpretersLive: On demand BSL video interpretation
- Hamilton Lodge School in Brighton: education for Deaf children
- Lipspeaker UK: specialist lipspeaking support
- Ozen: Australian hearing aid specialists
- Elmfield School, Bristol: Inclusive education for Deaf pupils
- deafPLUS: BSL advice helpline
- Exeter Deaf Academy: education for Deaf children
- Royal Shakespeare Company: Captioned and BSL interpreted performances (see dates here)
- Royal School for the Deaf, Derby: Residential education for deaf children
- RAD Tax Advice: Tax and Tax Credit info for Deaf people
- Performance Interpreting: BSL interpreting at concerts
- National Deaf Children's Society: The leading charity for deaf children
- Signed Culture: Advocating for BSL access to arts and culture
- SignHealth: healthcare charity for Deaf people
- CJ Interpreting: communication support in BSL
- British Society for Mental Health and Deafness: Promoting positive mental health for deaf people