Click on the titles to go to Remark’s website, then click ‘BSL’ to watch the news in beautiful sign language!
American Deaf man locked in cellar for four months
In one of the most horrific stories involving a Deaf person this year, a Deaf man from America was found malnourished after being beaten and locked in a cellar for four months.
Deaf actor takes starring role in BBC drama
In the last few years, Julian Peedle-Calloo has presented television programmes, written plays, directed short films and become a father. Now, this well known British Deaf personality has added acting in a prime-time BBC drama to his extended CV.
Internet prank means American singer may sing at deaf school
American singing star Taylor Swift may sing at a deaf school after becoming the victim of an internet prank.
Deaf dolphin finds new home
We know life’s not always easy when you’re deaf, but let’s spare a thought for animals who depend on their hearing – such as the young deaf dolphin who has found a new home after being found stranded earlier this year.
Deaf couple told they cannot go on cruise holiday
When you book a holiday on a cruise ship, the biggest problem you might expect to prepare yourself for is seasickness. But when Karen and Peter Harrison told Thomson Cruises that they were deaf, the company said that the only way they would be allowed to continue with their holiday was if they were accompanied by a hearing person, who would have to share their room.
East London Deaf Play Scheme first summer scheme!
Remark! Community’s Stratford play scheme celebrated its first summer play scheme arrangement, which ran from 14th August until 30th August. It was an action packed summer with many adventures and fun activities arranged for Deaf Children and Young people age 8-16 years.
Should Deaf athletes compete in the Paralympics?
The success of the Olympics and Paralympics in London this summer has led to a debate in the Deaf community about whether Deaf athletes should be allowed to compete in the Paralympic Games.
Deaf film star complains after visit to the Paralympic Games
The Deaf actor David Bower, who is best known for his starring role in smash hit film ‘Four Weddings and a Funeral’, has complained about his treatment after a visit to the Paralympic Games.
Every week we feature Deaf news in British Sign Language (BSL) courtesy of our sponsor, Remark! To find out more about the company and the services they provide, just visit their website, http://remark.uk.com.
The Limping Chicken is the world's most popular Deaf blog, and is edited by Deaf journalist and filmmaker Charlie Swinbourne. Find out how to write for us by clicking here, how to follow us by clicking here, and read our disclaimer here.
The site exists thanks to our supporters. Check them out below:
- Eyewitness Media: TV and film from a Deaf perspective
- Ai-Media: Remote captioning. Find out about 5 funny ways to use captions!
- Bellman & Symfon: home alerting solutions
- Deaf Umbrella: sign language interpreting and communications support
- Appa: Communication services for Deaf, Deafblind and hard of hearing people
- SignLive: Online video interpreting for Deaf people
- SignVideo: Instant BSL video interpreting online
- 121 Captions: captioning and speech-to-text services
- Signature: Leading awarding body for BSL qualifications
- The National Theatre: Captioned and BSL accessible theatre in London
- Doncaster School for the Deaf: education for Deaf children
- Signworld: Learn BSL online!
- Action Deafness Communications: sign language and Red Dot online video interpreting
- BSLcourses.co.uk: Provider of online BSL courses
- Association of Notetaking Professionals: The professional body representing Electronic and Manual Notetakers
- Sign Solutions: communication support, training and translation
- InterpretersLive: On demand BSL video interpretation
- Hamilton Lodge School in Brighton: education for Deaf children
- Lipspeaker UK: specialist lipspeaking support
- Ozen: Australian hearing aid specialists
- Elmfield School, Bristol: Inclusive education for Deaf pupils
- deafPLUS: BSL advice helpline
- Exeter Deaf Academy: education for Deaf children
- Royal Shakespeare Company: Captioned and BSL interpreted performances (see dates here)
- Royal School for the Deaf, Derby: Residential education for deaf children
- RAD Tax Advice: Tax and Tax Credit info for Deaf people
- Performance Interpreting: BSL interpreting at concerts
- National Deaf Children's Society: The leading charity for deaf children
- Signed Culture: Advocating for BSL access to arts and culture
- SignHealth: healthcare charity for Deaf people
- CJ Interpreting: communication support in BSL
- British Society for Mental Health and Deafness: Promoting positive mental health for deaf people