Click on the titles to go to Remark’s website, then click ‘BSL’ to watch the news in beautiful sign language!
Deafness gene discovered
Just weeks after scientists claimed to have ‘cured’ deafness in gerbils, now researchers have discovered a gene that they believe is responsible for 1000 babies being born deaf in the UK each year.
Deaf man assaulted in late-night disturbance in Lancashire
A string of recent stories has shown that deaf people who are out late at night seem to be at higher risk of assault, simply because they do not hear what someone says to them.
American relay company sues deaf man for harassment
Many deaf people believe that the life of a telephone relay operator is straightforward, as they help deaf and hearing people to communicate on the phone. However, sometimes relay operators receive calls they might not expect, as one story from America has shown.
Interpreting agency steps in to interpret for birth of Deaf father’s first baby
When Deaf actor Adam Bassett was denied a sign language interpreter for the birth of his first baby, the story hit the headlines in the local press in Hull, where he lives
Deaf population in Rochester makes it America’s ‘Deaf City’
The city of Rochester in the USA has long been regarded as having the highest percentage of deaf people in the country. Now, new research has confirmed its status as America’s ‘Deaf City.’
Deaf theatre company’s new play gets rave reviews
Deaf theatre company Deafinitely Theatre’s new play Tanika’s Journey has been critically acclaimed since its premiere at the Southwark Playhouse in London last week.
Every week we feature Deaf news in British Sign Language (BSL) courtesy of our sponsor, Remark! To find out more about the company and the services they provide, just visit their website, http://remark.uk.com.
The Limping Chicken is the world's most popular Deaf blog, and is edited by Deaf journalist and filmmaker Charlie Swinbourne. Find out how to write for us by clicking here, how to follow us by clicking here, and read our disclaimer here.
The site exists thanks to our supporters. Check them out below:
- Eyewitness Media: TV and film from a Deaf perspective
- Ai-Media: Remote captioning. Find out about 5 funny ways to use captions!
- Bellman & Symfon: home alerting solutions
- Deaf Umbrella: sign language interpreting and communications support
- Appa: Communication services for Deaf, Deafblind and hard of hearing people
- SignLive: Online video interpreting for Deaf people
- SignVideo: Instant BSL video interpreting online
- 121 Captions: captioning and speech-to-text services
- Signature: Leading awarding body for BSL qualifications
- The National Theatre: Captioned and BSL accessible theatre in London
- Doncaster School for the Deaf: education for Deaf children
- Signworld: Learn BSL online!
- Action Deafness Communications: sign language and Red Dot online video interpreting
- BSLcourses.co.uk: Provider of online BSL courses
- Association of Notetaking Professionals: The professional body representing Electronic and Manual Notetakers
- Sign Solutions: communication support, training and translation
- InterpretersLive: On demand BSL video interpretation
- Hamilton Lodge School in Brighton: education for Deaf children
- Lipspeaker UK: specialist lipspeaking support
- Ozen: Australian hearing aid specialists
- Elmfield School, Bristol: Inclusive education for Deaf pupils
- deafPLUS: BSL advice helpline
- Exeter Deaf Academy: education for Deaf children
- Royal Shakespeare Company: Captioned and BSL interpreted performances (see dates here)
- Royal School for the Deaf, Derby: Residential education for deaf children
- RAD Tax Advice: Tax and Tax Credit info for Deaf people
- Performance Interpreting: BSL interpreting at concerts
- National Deaf Children's Society: The leading charity for deaf children
- Signed Culture: Advocating for BSL access to arts and culture
- SignHealth: healthcare charity for Deaf people
- CJ Interpreting: communication support in BSL
- British Society for Mental Health and Deafness: Promoting positive mental health for deaf people