Click on the titles to go to Remark’s website, then click ‘BSL’ to watch the news in beautiful sign language!
Newspaper reports criticised by deafness research centre
The way a newspaper reported key sign language research has been criticised by a sign language research centre.
Marlee Matlin speaks out about deafness ‘cure‘
Oscar-winning actress argues that many Deaf people don’t want to be cured, and that people should look at Deaf people’s abilities, rather than dwelling on their “dis-abilities.”
Early sign language exposure found to benefit deaf children language skills
New research by London’s deafness research centre DCAL has found that acquiring sign language from an early age along with spoken or written language has significant benefits for deaf children.
Deaf and blind teenager wins positive role model award
A teenager who is deaf and blind has been honoured as a positive role model after he won an award at the National Diversity Awards.
Walthamstow Deaf Club given lifeline
There has now been some good news – the club will continue to meet in new premises starting in November with new management!
American Deaf school excluded from Taylor Swift concert, but gets cash instead
Sponsors of competition decide not to let the internet pranksters win, but donate $10,000 dollars to the school’s music department, with $10,000 too from Taylor Swift.
Every week we feature Deaf news in British Sign Language (BSL) courtesy of our sponsor, Remark! To find out more about the company and the services they provide, just visit their website, http://remark.uk.com.
The Limping Chicken is the world's most popular Deaf blog, and is edited by Deaf journalist and filmmaker Charlie Swinbourne.
The site exists thanks to our supporters. Check them out below:
- Signature: Leading awarding body for BSL qualifications
- Ai-Media: Remote captioning. Find out 7 things deaf people want you to know!
- Bellman & Symfon: home alerting solutions
- Deaf Umbrella: sign language interpreting and communications support
- BSL Zone: TV programmes in BSL for the Deaf community
- Eyewitness Media: TV and film from a Deaf perspective
- Appa: Communication services for Deaf, Deafblind and hard of hearing people
- SignLive: Online video interpreting for Deaf people
- SignVideo: Instant BSL video interpreting online
- 121 Captions: captioning and speech-to-text services
- The National Theatre: Captioned and BSL accessible theatre in London
- Doncaster School for the Deaf: education for Deaf children
- Signworld: Learn BSL online!
- Action Deafness Communications: sign language and Red Dot online video interpreting
- BSLcourses.co.uk: Provider of online BSL courses
- Association of Notetaking Professionals: The professional body representing Electronic and Manual Notetakers
- Sign Solutions: communication support, training and translation
- InterpretersLive: On demand BSL video interpretation
- Hamilton Lodge School in Brighton: education for Deaf children
- Lipspeaker UK: specialist lipspeaking support
- Hearing Choices: Australian hearing aid specialists
- Elmfield School, Bristol: Inclusive education for Deaf pupils
- deafPLUS: BSL advice helpline
- Exeter Deaf Academy: education for Deaf children
- Royal Shakespeare Company: Captioned and BSL interpreted performances (see dates here)
- Royal School for the Deaf, Derby: Residential education for deaf children
- RAD Tax Advice: Tax and Tax Credit info for Deaf people
- Performance Interpreting: BSL interpreting at concerts
- National Deaf Children's Society: The leading charity for deaf children
- Signed Culture: Advocating for BSL access to arts and culture
- SignHealth: healthcare charity for Deaf people
- CJ Interpreting: communication support in BSL
- British Society for Mental Health and Deafness: Promoting positive mental health for deaf people