The easiest way to explain BBDeaf News is that it’s like a Deaf lovechild of the Adam and Joe show crossed with The Mighty Boosh. It’s random, it’s surreal. You’ll find yourself laughing without really knowing why.
The creation of Tammy Broksom and Micole Boyce, BBDeaf News features regular spoof news videos in which the pair present all kinds of relatively ordinary stories as if they’re true, somehow contriving to make them funny.
Their gems include a video where two sisters are unexpectedly reunited, ‘the oral deaf news’ where they pretend to be hearing presenters wondering what a signed video is all about, and ‘Deaf Dyke’ where two Deaf lesbians talk all about… being Deaf lesbians.
My favourite feature is their use of ‘instant replay’ for the most anodyne of moments. Makes me laugh out loud every time.
I may not be doing a very good job of explaining just why BBDeaf News is funny. Maybe it’s just Tammy and Micole. Some people are funny down to their bones, and these two definitely are. Check out their Facebook page, and hopefully you’ll see why.
Someone give these guys a show.
Take a look at BBDeaf News page on Facebook here: http://www.facebook.com/groups/245039745625355/
The Limping Chicken is the world's most popular Deaf blog, and is edited by Deaf journalist and filmmaker Charlie Swinbourne. Find out how to write for us by clicking here, how to follow us by clicking here, and read our disclaimer here.
The site exists thanks to our supporters. Check them out below:
- Signature: Leading awarding body for BSL qualifications
- Ai-Media: Remote captioning. Find out about 5 funny ways to use captions!
- Bellman & Symfon: home alerting solutions
- Deaf Umbrella: sign language interpreting and communications support
- Eyewitness Media: TV and film from a Deaf perspective
- Appa: Communication services for Deaf, Deafblind and hard of hearing people
- SignLive: Online video interpreting for Deaf people
- SignVideo: Instant BSL video interpreting online
- 121 Captions: captioning and speech-to-text services
- The National Theatre: Captioned and BSL accessible theatre in London
- Doncaster School for the Deaf: education for Deaf children
- Signworld: Learn BSL online!
- Action Deafness Communications: sign language and Red Dot online video interpreting
- BSLcourses.co.uk: Provider of online BSL courses
- Association of Notetaking Professionals: The professional body representing Electronic and Manual Notetakers
- Sign Solutions: communication support, training and translation
- InterpretersLive: On demand BSL video interpretation
- Hamilton Lodge School in Brighton: education for Deaf children
- Lipspeaker UK: specialist lipspeaking support
- Ozen: Australian hearing aid specialists
- Elmfield School, Bristol: Inclusive education for Deaf pupils
- deafPLUS: BSL advice helpline
- Exeter Deaf Academy: education for Deaf children
- Royal Shakespeare Company: Captioned and BSL interpreted performances (see dates here)
- Royal School for the Deaf, Derby: Residential education for deaf children
- RAD Tax Advice: Tax and Tax Credit info for Deaf people
- Performance Interpreting: BSL interpreting at concerts
- National Deaf Children's Society: The leading charity for deaf children
- Signed Culture: Advocating for BSL access to arts and culture
- SignHealth: healthcare charity for Deaf people
- CJ Interpreting: communication support in BSL
- British Society for Mental Health and Deafness: Promoting positive mental health for deaf people