Click on the titles to go to Remark’s website, then click ‘BSL’ to watch the news in beautiful sign language!
Deaf woman dies in train track tragedy
An inquest has recorded a verdict of accidental death after a Deaf woman was tragically killed by a train after sitting on the railway line
Bristol conference, called ‘Sleepwalking into Eugenics’ marked the end of a two year project focusing on genetics and the concept of Deafhood.
300 year old book reveals early attempts at deaf communication
A communication manual which belonged to a deaf teenager has been discovered at an English manor.
University set to research link between cochlear implants and sign language
America’s RIT has received a $2.3 million research grant to conduct a four year study into the interactions between language, learning and cognitive abilities of deaf students with cochlear implants.
New drop in service for Deaf and deafblind people in Barnet
A new drop in service called ‘BSL Tuesdays’ will provide information, advice and advocacy for Deaf and deafblind sign language users living in Barnet.
LIVE AT GREEN LANES: Comedy Show at St John’s Centre
There will be a Deaf Comedy show at Green Lanes Deaf Club this Friday
Interpreter takes home 3 awards at prestigious ceremony
Zane Hema, Registered Sign Language Interpreter takes home 3 awards at the Signature Annual Awards
DCAL searches for parents of deaf children for educational research project
A new project at DCAL is aiming to investigate how deaf children’s planning, working memory, attention and problem solving, which are know as executive functions, develop over time.
Apology for deaf footballer from taxi firm boss
Boss of taxi firm, Addison Lee, has apologised after comments about Deaf Footballer
Every week we feature Deaf news in British Sign Language (BSL) courtesy of our sponsor, Remark! To find out more about the company and the services they provide, just visit their website, http://remark.uk.com.
The Limping Chicken is the world's most popular Deaf blog, and is edited by Deaf journalist and filmmaker Charlie Swinbourne.
The site exists thanks to our supporters. Check them out below:
- Signature: Leading awarding body for BSL qualifications
- Ai-Media: Remote captioning. Find out 7 things deaf people want you to know!
- Bellman & Symfon: home alerting solutions
- Deaf Umbrella: sign language interpreting and communications support
- Eyewitness Media: TV and film from a Deaf perspective
- Appa: Communication services for Deaf, Deafblind and hard of hearing people
- SignLive: Online video interpreting for Deaf people
- SignVideo: Instant BSL video interpreting online
- 121 Captions: captioning and speech-to-text services
- The National Theatre: Captioned and BSL accessible theatre in London
- Doncaster School for the Deaf: education for Deaf children
- Signworld: Learn BSL online!
- Action Deafness Communications: sign language and Red Dot online video interpreting
- BSLcourses.co.uk: Provider of online BSL courses
- Association of Notetaking Professionals: The professional body representing Electronic and Manual Notetakers
- Sign Solutions: communication support, training and translation
- InterpretersLive: On demand BSL video interpretation
- Hamilton Lodge School in Brighton: education for Deaf children
- Lipspeaker UK: specialist lipspeaking support
- Hearing Choices: Australian hearing aid specialists
- Elmfield School, Bristol: Inclusive education for Deaf pupils
- deafPLUS: BSL advice helpline
- Exeter Deaf Academy: education for Deaf children
- Royal Shakespeare Company: Captioned and BSL interpreted performances (see dates here)
- Royal School for the Deaf, Derby: Residential education for deaf children
- RAD Tax Advice: Tax and Tax Credit info for Deaf people
- Performance Interpreting: BSL interpreting at concerts
- National Deaf Children's Society: The leading charity for deaf children
- Signed Culture: Advocating for BSL access to arts and culture
- SignHealth: healthcare charity for Deaf people
- CJ Interpreting: communication support in BSL
- British Society for Mental Health and Deafness: Promoting positive mental health for deaf people