In a great feature called ‘Accidental’ Deaf TV Reporter: A Profession with a Purpose, by Mike Ervin, the career of deaf television journalist Karen Meyer is explained. She may be the only television journalist in the world who regularly reports for a mainstream news programme in sign language (if there’s another, let us know!).
Karen Meyer has had a long and fruitful career as a television journalist. But it’s all a crazy, happy accident.
Twice a week, Meyer, who was born deaf, contributes a story about the disability community to the local news broadcasts of WLS, the ABC affiliate in her hometown of Chicago. She is the producer, interviewer and writer for all her stories. She communicates on camera with her voice and through American Sign Language. Her segments are open captioned, with the words printed on the screen along with descriptions of other associated sounds.
But Meyer never aspired to nor prepared for a career in journalism. She has a B.S. degree in family services from Eastern Illinois University and an M.A. degree in urban studies from Loyola University Chicago. “So I was either going to be a social worker or an urban planner,” she said. “I did a little of both, then one career led to another.”
Read the rest of the article here: http://www.itodaynews.com/2012-issues/february2012/meyer.htm
The Limping Chicken is the UK’s deaf blogs and news website, and is the world’s most popular deaf blog. It is edited by Deaf journalist and filmmaker Charlie Swinbourne.
- Phonak: innovative technology and products in hearing acoustics
- Ai-Live: Check out the 6 best deaf subreddits!
- Bellman & Symfon: home alerting solutions
- Deaf Umbrella: sign language interpreting and communications support
- Clarion: BSL/English interpreting and employment services
- Appa: Communication services for Deaf, Deafblind and hard of hearing people
- SignVideo: Instant BSL video interpreting online
- 121 Captions: captioning and speech-to-text services
- Hearing Direct: Online hearing aids
- Doncaster School for the Deaf: education for Deaf children
- Signworld: online BSL learning and teaching materials
- DCAL: Find out how to study at the Deafness Cognition and Language Research Centre, London
- Sarah Gatford: BSL interpreting, training and consultancy
- SignHealth: healthcare charity for Deaf people
- CJ Interpreting: communication support in BSL
- Sign Solutions:, language and learning
- Sign Lingual: BSL interpreting and communication services
- Action Deafness Communications: sign language and Red Dot online video interpreting
- SDHH: Project Development and Consultancy
- Mykasoft: Deaf-run Web Design Studio
- BSLcourses.co.uk: Provider of online BSL courses
- British Society for Mental Health and Deafness: Promoting positive mental health for deaf people
- deafPLUS: Money advice line in BSL
- Hamilton Lodge School in Brighton: education for Deaf children
- Lipspeaker UK: specialist lipspeaking support
- Ozen: Australian hearing aid specialists
- Elmfield School, Bristol: Inclusive education for Deaf pupils
- RAD: tax advice for Deaf people
- Krazy Kat: visual theatre with BSL
- Exeter Deaf Academy: education for Deaf children