You can take all your iPads, slimline laptops and versatile smartphones and ditch them. Chuck ’em away. Then buy this.
The “MyVoice” device is a small, handheld gizmo designed to translate American Sign Language into spoken English. It’s like sort of like Star Trek‘s universal translator, only targeted on one very specific type of communication.
So, how does it work? The MyVoice is composed of a built-in microphone, a speaker, a soundboard, a video camera, and a monitor. The prototype device basically looks like your average smartphone. The camera records the hand motions of a person speaking ASL, processes the video on the fly, and then serves up a spoken translation via an electronic voice. It can also work in the other direction, converting spoken words into sign language that is then displayed on the monitor.
The Limping Chicken is the UK’s independent deaf news and deaf blogs website! Check out our supporters:
- Remark! – Deaf media company producing television programmes, video BSL translation, multimedia solutions, plus providing training and interpreters!
- Deaf Umbrella – Sign language communications provider, including BSL interpreters!
- SignVideo – Provider of online BSL video interpreting services!
- STAGETEXT – Charity providing theatre captioning – giving you every word of a play!
- RAD Deaf Law Centre – Providing legal advice for Deaf people – in BSL!
- Bee Communications – Remote Captioning – providing text-based access wherever you are!
The Limping Chicken is the UK’s deaf blogs and news website, and is the world’s most popular deaf blog. It is edited by Deaf journalist and filmmaker Charlie Swinbourne.
Please note that the views of the writers are their own, and not necessarily the views of the Editor or site as a whole. Read our disclaimer here.
- Phonak: innovative technology and products in hearing acoustics
- Ai-Live: Find out about things Deaf people didn't realise made sounds
- Bellman & Symfon: home alerting solutions
- Deaf Umbrella: sign language interpreting and communications support
- Clarion: BSL/English interpreting and employment services
- Appa: Communication services for Deaf, Deafblind and hard of hearing people
- SignVideo: Instant BSL video interpreting online
- 121 Captions: captioning and speech-to-text services
- Hearing Direct: Online hearing aids
- The National Theatre: Captioned and BSL accessible theatre in London
- Doncaster School for the Deaf: education for Deaf children
- Signworld: online BSL learning and teaching materials
- CJ Interpreting: communication support in BSL
- Sign Solutions:, language and learning
- Action Deafness Communications: sign language and Red Dot online video interpreting
- SDHH: Project Development and Consultancy
- BSLcourses.co.uk: Provider of online BSL courses
- British Society for Mental Health and Deafness: Promoting positive mental health for deaf people
- deafPLUS: Money advice line in BSL
- Happy: Microsoft Office courses taught in BSL and SSE by a Deaf trainer – all abilities catered for
- Hamilton Lodge School in Brighton: education for Deaf children
- Lipspeaker UK: specialist lipspeaking support
- Ozen: Australian hearing aid specialists
- Elmfield School, Bristol: Inclusive education for Deaf pupils
- Exeter Deaf Academy: education for Deaf children
- DCAL: Find out how to study at the Deafness Cognition and Language Research Centre, London
- cSeeker: Deaf-led educational communication support service
- Signed Culture: Advocating for BSL access to arts and culture
- Sarah Gatford: BSL interpreting, training and consultancy
- SignHealth: healthcare charity for Deaf people