For the last year, Limping Chicken has, save for a two week break in the summer, largely been a one-man affair. All that’s set to change as we announce the four writers who, as of today, are our brand-new Contributing Editors!
So what is a Contributing Editor? Well, as this page on Wikipedia states, the job of a Contributing Editor is someone who “regularly contributes articles to the publication.” It’s as simple as that!
The four people below are all good eggs, who’ll be writing between once and twice a month for the Chicken. We can’t wait!
Ni is a deaf teen studying Social Work at Birmingham City University. She’s worked with the NDCS for years and also runs a Youth Group for Worcestershire deaf teens called “Deafinity.” Ni previously wrote about pimping her hearing aids for this site, among many other topics, and will be writing about student life fortnightly – starting tomorrow!
As well as being a Dad, William is an award-winning director for film and TV, who made his first film aged 14 when he “set fire to a model Audi Quattro and was subsequently banned from the school film club for excessive pyromania.” His article about Seeing his son for the first time is this site’s third most viewed article EVER. More recently he’s written about having a cochlear implant and later on today, about whether he could have gone to deaf school or not. Look out for it!
Emily is a profoundly Deaf actress, writer and horsewoman who once edited this site for two weeks while usual Editor Charlie was away. We’re pleased to report she didn’t break it, although she did post a doctored photo of Charlie, which he later forgave her for. Emily’s a new mum and she’ll be writing about motherhood fortnightly!
Donna Williams is a deaf writer and blogger living in Bristol, and a British Sign Language poet. She was recently selected to be part of Deaf Explorer (http://deafexplorer.com/), a project run by the Deaf Cultural Centre to encourage the work and development of deaf artists. She occasionally presents for the NDCS, and recently achieved an MA in Ethics and Social Philosophy from Cardiff University. Donna’s article about S*** people say to sign language interpreters is one of this site’s biggest ever hits!
Check out her blog and her previous writing for this site: http://limpingchicken.com/category/donna-williams/
The Limping Chicken is the world's most popular Deaf blog, and is edited by Deaf journalist and filmmaker Charlie Swinbourne. Find out how to write for us by clicking here, how to follow us by clicking here, and read our disclaimer here.
The site exists thanks to our supporters. Check them out below:
- Signature: Leading awarding body for BSL qualifications
- Ai-Media: Remote captioning. Find out about 5 funny ways to use captions!
- Bellman & Symfon: home alerting solutions
- Deaf Umbrella: sign language interpreting and communications support
- Eyewitness Media: TV and film from a Deaf perspective
- Appa: Communication services for Deaf, Deafblind and hard of hearing people
- SignLive: Online video interpreting for Deaf people
- SignVideo: Instant BSL video interpreting online
- 121 Captions: captioning and speech-to-text services
- The National Theatre: Captioned and BSL accessible theatre in London
- Doncaster School for the Deaf: education for Deaf children
- Signworld: Learn BSL online!
- Action Deafness Communications: sign language and Red Dot online video interpreting
- BSLcourses.co.uk: Provider of online BSL courses
- Association of Notetaking Professionals: The professional body representing Electronic and Manual Notetakers
- Sign Solutions: communication support, training and translation
- InterpretersLive: On demand BSL video interpretation
- Hamilton Lodge School in Brighton: education for Deaf children
- Lipspeaker UK: specialist lipspeaking support
- Ozen: Australian hearing aid specialists
- Elmfield School, Bristol: Inclusive education for Deaf pupils
- deafPLUS: BSL advice helpline
- Exeter Deaf Academy: education for Deaf children
- Royal Shakespeare Company: Captioned and BSL interpreted performances (see dates here)
- Royal School for the Deaf, Derby: Residential education for deaf children
- RAD Tax Advice: Tax and Tax Credit info for Deaf people
- Performance Interpreting: BSL interpreting at concerts
- National Deaf Children's Society: The leading charity for deaf children
- Signed Culture: Advocating for BSL access to arts and culture
- SignHealth: healthcare charity for Deaf people
- CJ Interpreting: communication support in BSL
- British Society for Mental Health and Deafness: Promoting positive mental health for deaf people