10 years ago this month, BSL was recognised by the government after a campaign that led to Deaf people marching on the streets of London.
For some, that breakthrough was the end of the fight, but since then, many Deaf people have said that without rights in law, BSL recognition didn’t make as much difference as it could have done.
Many have said that what the Deaf community really need is a BSL Act to enshrine the rights of BSL users in law when they are accessing services like healthcare or education.
Now, a new Facebook group called ‘Spit the dummy and campaign for a BSL Act’ has united a number of key members of the Deaf community behind the issue, gaining nearly 4000 members in just a few days.
There, influential people like John Smith, the Deaf comedian, Lee Robertson (below), Deaf actor Matt Kirby, James Clarke, former campaigner Jen Dodds, and many more have posted videos in BSL about the need for an Act.
They say the Equality Act isn’t strong enough and that it’s time for the Deaf community to “spit the dummy out” and do something about it.
When BSL was recognised, the driving force was the Federation of Deaf People. Will this new movement, linked online through social networking, lead to a new campaigning organisation that can help a BSL Act become reality?
We’ll have a blog about this later in the week – but for now, we’ll be keeping a close eye on the Facebook group for further developments.
Check out the Facebook group here: http://www.facebook.com/groups/bslact/
The Limping Chicken is the UK’s independent deaf news and deaf blogs website! Check out our supporters:
- Remark! – Deaf media company producing television programmes, video BSL translation, multimedia solutions, plus providing training and interpreters
- Deaf Umbrella – Sign language communications provider, including BSL interpreters
- SignVideo – Provider of online BSL video interpreting services
- STAGETEXT – Charity providing theatre captioning – giving you every word of a play
- RAD Deaf Law Centre – Providing legal advice for Deaf people – in BSL
- Bee Communications – Remote Captioning – providing text-based access wherever you are
- Krazy Kat – live visual theatre combining mime, dance, song, puppets and sign language
- The University of Wolverhampton’s Deaf Learner Open Day – on Wednesday 27th March!
The Limping Chicken is the UK’s deaf blogs and news website, and is the world’s most popular deaf blog. It is edited by Deaf journalist and filmmaker Charlie Swinbourne.
Please note that the views of the writers are their own, and not necessarily the views of the Editor or site as a whole. Read our disclaimer here.
- Rayovac: Never run out of hearing aid batteries again by subscribing!
- Ai-Media: Remote captioning. Find out how to add Live Captions to Facebook Live!
- Bellman & Symfon: home alerting solutions
- Deaf Umbrella: sign language interpreting and communications support
- Appa: Communication services for Deaf, Deafblind and hard of hearing people
- SignLive: Online video interpreting for Deaf people
- SignVideo: Instant BSL video interpreting online
- 121 Captions: captioning and speech-to-text services
- Hearing Direct: Online hearing aids
- Signature: Leading awarding body for BSL qualifications
- Signworld: Learn BSL online!
- Cast Theatre, Doncaster: The UK's the UK’s first fully BSL integrated pantomime
- The National Theatre: Captioned and BSL accessible theatre in London
- Doncaster School for the Deaf: education for Deaf children
- Sign Solutions: communication support, training and translation
- InterpretersLive: On demand BSL video interpretation
- Hamilton Lodge School in Brighton: education for Deaf children
- Lipspeaker UK: specialist lipspeaking support
- Ozen: Australian hearing aid specialists
- Elmfield School, Bristol: Inclusive education for Deaf pupils
- deafPLUS: BSL advice helpline
- Exeter Deaf Academy: education for Deaf children
- Royal Shakespeare Company: Captioned and BSL interpreted performances (see dates here)
- Royal School for the Deaf, Derby: Residential education for deaf children
- RAD Tax Advice: Tax and Tax Credit info for Deaf people
- Deaf Independent: Deaf care and support services
- Performance Interpreting: BSL interpreting at concerts
- National Deaf Children's Society: The leading charity for deaf children
- cSeeker: Deaf-led educational communication support service
- Signed Culture: Advocating for BSL access to arts and culture
- SignHealth: healthcare charity for Deaf people
- CJ Interpreting: communication support in BSL
- Action Deafness Communications: sign language and Red Dot online video interpreting
- BSLcourses.co.uk: Provider of online BSL courses
- British Society for Mental Health and Deafness: Promoting positive mental health for deaf people