Princess Diana always held a special place in the hearts of Deaf people in the UK because of her efforts to learn sign language, and it looks like this has rubbed off on Prince Harry, after he was filmed signing with children at a deaf school in Lesotho.
Y’know, the naked photos in Vagas, dressing up in inappropriate fancy dress and a habit of using offensive terms for colleagues from ethnic minorities, well, us Deafies can (almost) forgive all that, because as you can tell from the photos, Harry made their day.
Prince Harry has said he hopes his late mother would be “proud” of his fundraising efforts, as he launched a project to help disadvantaged children in South Africa.
The Prince mentioned Diana, Princess of Wales, as he gave a speech at a gala dinner for his Sentebale charity.
Earlier in the day, he met youngsters at a school for deaf children in Lesotho, where he learned sign language and took part in a kneeling dance.
The royal hopes to raise £2.5m to build the Mamohato Centre, which will provide psychological care and offer mentoring to children with HIV/Aids.
Read the full article here: http://news.sky.com/story/1057572/prince-harry-i-hope-diana-is-proud-of-me
The Limping Chicken is the world's most popular Deaf blog, and is edited by Deaf journalist and filmmaker Charlie Swinbourne.
The site exists thanks to our supporters. Check them out below:
- Signature: Leading awarding body for BSL qualifications
- Ai-Media: Remote captioning. Find out 7 things deaf people want you to know!
- Bellman & Symfon: home alerting solutions
- Deaf Umbrella: sign language interpreting and communications support
- BSL Zone: TV programmes in BSL for the Deaf community
- Eyewitness Media: TV and film from a Deaf perspective
- Appa: Communication services for Deaf, Deafblind and hard of hearing people
- SignLive: Online video interpreting for Deaf people
- SignVideo: Instant BSL video interpreting online
- 121 Captions: captioning and speech-to-text services
- The National Theatre: Captioned and BSL accessible theatre in London
- Doncaster School for the Deaf: education for Deaf children
- Signworld: Learn BSL online!
- Action Deafness Communications: sign language and Red Dot online video interpreting
- BSLcourses.co.uk: Provider of online BSL courses
- Association of Notetaking Professionals: The professional body representing Electronic and Manual Notetakers
- Sign Solutions: communication support, training and translation
- InterpretersLive: On demand BSL video interpretation
- Hamilton Lodge School in Brighton: education for Deaf children
- Lipspeaker UK: specialist lipspeaking support
- Hearing Choices: Australian hearing aid specialists
- Elmfield School, Bristol: Inclusive education for Deaf pupils
- deafPLUS: BSL advice helpline
- Exeter Deaf Academy: education for Deaf children
- Royal Shakespeare Company: Captioned and BSL interpreted performances (see dates here)
- Royal School for the Deaf, Derby: Residential education for deaf children
- RAD Tax Advice: Tax and Tax Credit info for Deaf people
- Performance Interpreting: BSL interpreting at concerts
- National Deaf Children's Society: The leading charity for deaf children
- Signed Culture: Advocating for BSL access to arts and culture
- SignHealth: healthcare charity for Deaf people
- CJ Interpreting: communication support in BSL
- British Society for Mental Health and Deafness: Promoting positive mental health for deaf people