Click on the titles to go to Remark’s website, then click ‘BSL’ to watch the news in beautiful sign language!
Deaf footballer says abuse he received was same as racism
Deaf footballer Daniel Ailey has said that the abuse he received from fans while playing in October was no different to racism.
Prince Harry signs with Deaf children in South Africa
Now the Prince has won a few Deaf hearts after signing with Deaf children at a Deaf school in Lesotho, South Africa.
Red wine can stop you going deaf, study says
Their tests found that a chemical found in wine, called resveratrol, protects people against noise-induced hearing loss.
Documentary says India has only 250 interpreters between 18 million deaf people
The makers say it was made to help more people understand the lives of Deaf people in India. They say Deaf ‘voices’ are not heard, and there is little social consciousness.
Burglar admits theft from deafblind man’s workshop
a man has been charged with the theft, with a 22 year old man pleading guilty in court. As well as taking equipment, Hicks’ quad bike was stolen, and it is this that the man has admitted to.
Chinese restaurant chain increases employment for deaf people
They serve spicy food, and the waiters use sign language with the customers. On the walls there are pictures which show customers the signs for different dishes.
Deaf swimmer breaks world record at Swimming Championships
16 year old Danielle Joyce from Scotland was making her debut at the championships and showed she was a swimmer to be watched, breaking two World records in the S15 class – a class for deaf swimmers.
Unique sign language discovered in Hawaii
A research group based at the University of Hawaii’s linguistics department announced the previously undocumented language’s existence at a conference on Friday.
Every week we feature Deaf news in British Sign Language (BSL) courtesy of our sponsor, Remark! To find out more about the company and the services they provide, just visit their website, http://remark.uk.com.
The Limping Chicken is the world's most popular Deaf blog, and is edited by Deaf journalist and filmmaker Charlie Swinbourne.
The site exists thanks to our supporters. Check them out below:
- Signature: Leading awarding body for BSL qualifications
- Ai-Media: Remote captioning. Find out the benefits of live captioning at university!
- Bellman & Symfon: home alerting solutions
- Deaf Umbrella: sign language interpreting and communications support
- BSL Zone: TV programmes in BSL for the Deaf community
- Stellar Communications: Speech-to-Text services
- Appa: Communication services for Deaf, Deafblind and hard of hearing people
- SignLive: Online video interpreting for Deaf people
- SignVideo: Instant BSL video interpreting online
- 121 Captions: captioning and speech-to-text services
- Eyewitness Media: TV and film from a Deaf perspective
- The National Theatre: Captioned and BSL accessible theatre in London
- Doncaster School for the Deaf: education for Deaf children
- Signworld: Learn BSL online!
- Helen Foulkes Translations: BSL translations
- RAD Tax Advice: Tax and Tax Credit info for Deaf people
- Performance Interpreting: BSL interpreting at concerts
- National Deaf Children's Society: The leading charity for deaf children
- Signed Culture: Advocating for BSL access to arts and culture
- SignHealth: healthcare charity for Deaf people
- CJ Interpreting: communication support in BSL
- British Society for Mental Health and Deafness: Promoting positive mental health for deaf people
- Action Deafness Communications: sign language and Red Dot online video interpreting
- BSLcourses.co.uk: Provider of online BSL courses
- Association of Notetaking Professionals: The professional body representing Electronic and Manual Notetakers
- Sign Solutions: communication support, training and translation
- InterpretersLive: On demand BSL video interpretation
- Hamilton Lodge School in Brighton: education for Deaf children
- Lipspeaker UK: specialist lipspeaking support
- Hearing Choices: Australian hearing aid specialists
- Elmfield School, Bristol: Inclusive education for Deaf pupils
- deafPLUS: BSL advice helpline
- Exeter Deaf Academy: education for Deaf children
- Royal Shakespeare Company: Captioned and BSL interpreted performances (see dates here)
- Royal School for the Deaf, Derby: Residential education for deaf children