Click on the titles to go to Remark’s website, then click ‘BSL’ to watch the news in beautiful sign language!
Irish Deaf village opens its doors
Deaf Village Ireland is home to a number of Deaf organisations, all in one place. It includes a sports centre, conference facilities, offices, a chapel, educational facilities and a cafe.
Deaf people captured on film during Japanese earthquake
The documentary shows how Deaf people couldn’t hear emergency sirens as the earthquake hit, with one of them only escaping the wave that washed away her house because a neighbour came to warn her.
Universal Declaration of Human Rights translated into BSL
The UDHR is seen as important to Deaf people because many of the rights of Deaf people to use sign language are enshrined in the declaration.
American prison settles with prisoner denied interpreter
The police claimed they had communicated with him effectively by writing notes and using his hearing roommate as an interpreter. However, the lawsuit said this was inadequate.
Deaf indian woman reunited with brother 12 years after getting wrong bus
With Galiman unable to communicate, and her family unable to contact her, she ended up living in a home near a notorious prison. And that’s where she stayed, until a kind police officer tracked her family down.
Noisy Deaf cat looking for Deaf owner
Currently living in a shelter in Surrey, Sandy is so loud that the only owners that would suit her is Deaf people living in a detached home, without children, pets or neighbours.
Every week we feature Deaf news in British Sign Language (BSL) courtesy of our sponsor, Remark! To find out more about the company and the services they provide, just visit their website, http://remark.uk.com.
The Limping Chicken is the world's most popular Deaf blog, and is edited by Deaf journalist and filmmaker Charlie Swinbourne.
The site exists thanks to our supporters. Check them out below:
- Signature: Leading awarding body for BSL qualifications
- Ai-Media: Remote captioning. Find out 7 things deaf people want you to know!
- Bellman & Symfon: home alerting solutions
- Deaf Umbrella: sign language interpreting and communications support
- Eyewitness Media: TV and film from a Deaf perspective
- Appa: Communication services for Deaf, Deafblind and hard of hearing people
- SignLive: Online video interpreting for Deaf people
- SignVideo: Instant BSL video interpreting online
- 121 Captions: captioning and speech-to-text services
- The National Theatre: Captioned and BSL accessible theatre in London
- Doncaster School for the Deaf: education for Deaf children
- Signworld: Learn BSL online!
- Action Deafness Communications: sign language and Red Dot online video interpreting
- BSLcourses.co.uk: Provider of online BSL courses
- Association of Notetaking Professionals: The professional body representing Electronic and Manual Notetakers
- Sign Solutions: communication support, training and translation
- InterpretersLive: On demand BSL video interpretation
- Hamilton Lodge School in Brighton: education for Deaf children
- Lipspeaker UK: specialist lipspeaking support
- Hearing Choices: Australian hearing aid specialists
- Elmfield School, Bristol: Inclusive education for Deaf pupils
- deafPLUS: BSL advice helpline
- Exeter Deaf Academy: education for Deaf children
- Royal Shakespeare Company: Captioned and BSL interpreted performances (see dates here)
- Royal School for the Deaf, Derby: Residential education for deaf children
- RAD Tax Advice: Tax and Tax Credit info for Deaf people
- Performance Interpreting: BSL interpreting at concerts
- National Deaf Children's Society: The leading charity for deaf children
- Signed Culture: Advocating for BSL access to arts and culture
- SignHealth: healthcare charity for Deaf people
- CJ Interpreting: communication support in BSL
- British Society for Mental Health and Deafness: Promoting positive mental health for deaf people