Click on the titles to go to Remark’s website, then click ‘BSL’ to watch the news in beautiful sign language!
BSL Act campaign boosted as over 100 MPs sign Early Day motion
The number of signatures took a while to grow, but now the speed of support has increased, with 110 MPs having signed the Early Day Motion. Before Easter, only 55 had signed up.
Organisations team up to fight dementia
Now, Action on Hearing Loss and DCAL – the Deafness, Cognition and Language Research Centre are urging the NHS to introduce a better overall strategy for assessing, diagnosing and managing dementia for deaf people
Deaf Miss India UK aims for Miss India Worldwide title
Nehal Bhogaita is a beauty therapist and community support worker from Leicester who says she wants to be a role model for other deaf or disabled people. She also wants to show that deafness shouldn’t hold people back.
NDCS says thousands of deaf children will lose out under benefits changes
But with new changes in benefits – which will come into effect in October – Disability Living Allowance (DLA) will be scrapped for young people over 16, and replaced by Personal Independence Payments (PIP).
Girl receives $7.25m after being shocked by her cochlear implant
The girl, called Breanna Sadler, was fitted with the implant when she was 4 years old. However, four years later, she received a sudden electric shock. She was then shocked twice more, before the device was removed from her skull and replaced with another model.
Every week we feature Deaf news in British Sign Language (BSL) courtesy of our sponsor, Remark! To find out more about the company and the services they provide, just visit their website, http://remark.uk.com.
The Limping Chicken is the world's most popular Deaf blog, and is edited by Deaf journalist and filmmaker Charlie Swinbourne. Find out how to write for us by clicking here, how to follow us by clicking here, and read our disclaimer here.
The site exists thanks to our supporters. Check them out below:
- Ai-Media: Remote captioning. Find out about the Deaf fashion bloggers taking on the world!
- Bellman & Symfon: home alerting solutions
- Deaf Umbrella: sign language interpreting and communications support
- Appa: Communication services for Deaf, Deafblind and hard of hearing people
- SignLive: Online video interpreting for Deaf people
- SignVideo: Instant BSL video interpreting online
- 121 Captions: captioning and speech-to-text services
- Signature: Leading awarding body for BSL qualifications
- The National Theatre: Captioned and BSL accessible theatre in London
- Doncaster School for the Deaf: education for Deaf children
- Signworld: Learn BSL online!
- Association of Notetaking Professionals: The professional body representing Electronic and Manual Notetakers
- Sign Solutions: communication support, training and translation
- InterpretersLive: On demand BSL video interpretation
- Cast Theatre, Doncaster: The UK's the UK’s first fully BSL integrated pantomime
- Hamilton Lodge School in Brighton: education for Deaf children
- Lipspeaker UK: specialist lipspeaking support
- Ozen: Australian hearing aid specialists
- Elmfield School, Bristol: Inclusive education for Deaf pupils
- deafPLUS: BSL advice helpline
- Exeter Deaf Academy: education for Deaf children
- Royal Shakespeare Company: Captioned and BSL interpreted performances (see dates here)
- Royal School for the Deaf, Derby: Residential education for deaf children
- RAD Tax Advice: Tax and Tax Credit info for Deaf people
- Deaf Independent: Deaf care and support services
- Performance Interpreting: BSL interpreting at concerts
- National Deaf Children's Society: The leading charity for deaf children
- cSeeker: Deaf-led educational communication support service
- Signed Culture: Advocating for BSL access to arts and culture
- SignHealth: healthcare charity for Deaf people
- CJ Interpreting: communication support in BSL
- Action Deafness Communications: sign language and Red Dot online video interpreting
- BSLcourses.co.uk: Provider of online BSL courses
- British Society for Mental Health and Deafness: Promoting positive mental health for deaf people