Click on the titles to go to Remark’s website, then click ‘BSL’ to watch the news in beautiful sign language!
BSL Act campaign boosted as over 100 MPs sign Early Day motion
The number of signatures took a while to grow, but now the speed of support has increased, with 110 MPs having signed the Early Day Motion. Before Easter, only 55 had signed up.
Organisations team up to fight dementia
Now, Action on Hearing Loss and DCAL – the Deafness, Cognition and Language Research Centre are urging the NHS to introduce a better overall strategy for assessing, diagnosing and managing dementia for deaf people
Deaf Miss India UK aims for Miss India Worldwide title
Nehal Bhogaita is a beauty therapist and community support worker from Leicester who says she wants to be a role model for other deaf or disabled people. She also wants to show that deafness shouldn’t hold people back.
NDCS says thousands of deaf children will lose out under benefits changes
But with new changes in benefits – which will come into effect in October – Disability Living Allowance (DLA) will be scrapped for young people over 16, and replaced by Personal Independence Payments (PIP).
Girl receives $7.25m after being shocked by her cochlear implant
The girl, called Breanna Sadler, was fitted with the implant when she was 4 years old. However, four years later, she received a sudden electric shock. She was then shocked twice more, before the device was removed from her skull and replaced with another model.
Every week we feature Deaf news in British Sign Language (BSL) courtesy of our sponsor, Remark! To find out more about the company and the services they provide, just visit their website, http://remark.uk.com.
The Limping Chicken is the UK’s deaf blogs and news website, and is the world’s most popular deaf blog. It is edited by Deaf journalist and filmmaker Charlie Swinbourne.
Please note that the views of the writers are their own, and not necessarily the views of the Editor or site as a whole. Read our disclaimer here.
- Phonak: innovative technology and products in hearing acoustics
- Ai-Live: Find out 5 ways to fund live captions at your event!
- Bellman & Symfon: home alerting solutions
- Deaf Umbrella: sign language interpreting and communications support
- Clarion: BSL/English interpreting and employment services
- Appa: Communication services for Deaf, Deafblind and hard of hearing people
- SignVideo: Instant BSL video interpreting online
- 121 Captions: captioning and speech-to-text services
- Hearing Direct: Online hearing aids
- The National Theatre: Captioned and BSL accessible theatre in London
- Doncaster School for the Deaf: education for Deaf children
- Signworld: online BSL learning and teaching materials
- CJ Interpreting: communication support in BSL
- Sign Solutions:, language and learning
- Action Deafness Communications: sign language and Red Dot online video interpreting
- SDHH: Project Development and Consultancy
- BSLcourses.co.uk: Provider of online BSL courses
- British Society for Mental Health and Deafness: Promoting positive mental health for deaf people
- deafPLUS: Money advice line in BSL
- Happy: Microsoft Office courses taught in BSL and SSE by a Deaf trainer – all abilities catered for
- Hamilton Lodge School in Brighton: education for Deaf children
- Lipspeaker UK: specialist lipspeaking support
- Ozen: Australian hearing aid specialists
- Elmfield School, Bristol: Inclusive education for Deaf pupils
- Exeter Deaf Academy: education for Deaf children
- DCAL: Find out how to study at the Deafness Cognition and Language Research Centre, London
- cSeeker: Deaf-led educational communication support service
- Signed Culture: Advocating for BSL access to arts and culture
- Sarah Gatford: BSL interpreting, training and consultancy
- SignHealth: healthcare charity for Deaf people