Gerry achieved the feat at around 9am this morning when he crossed his outward route. He is now sailing home, with hundreds of Deaf people expected to welcome him back on dry land, including his wife, Kay, and their two daughters.
Gerry has been away for over 8 months now, and estimates he will arrive in Troon on Wednesday afternoon at 1pm. There will be a live stream online so people can watch his return from home.
Gerry set off on his journey from Troon, Scotland on 1st September last year, in his yacht, Quest III. Since then he has passed the five great capes, becoming the first Deaf person to circumnavigate the world solo by this route.
There was a boost for Gerry with two days remaining when Niall McCormack, the Deaf Irish artist, managed to see Gerry and wave to him as he passed Belmullet on the west coast of Ireland this afternoon.
Gerry’s quest has captured the imagination of the Deaf community, with thousands of people following his progress on Facebook and his personal website, with many people raising funds to support his journey. Find out more at his website – gerrysmhughes.com.
From all of us here at Limping Chicken – Go Go Go Gerry!
The Limping Chicken is the UK’s deaf blogs and news website, and is the world’s most popular deaf blog. It is edited by Deaf journalist and filmmaker Charlie Swinbourne.
Please note that the views of the writers are their own, and not necessarily the views of the Editor or site as a whole. Read our disclaimer here.
- Phonak: innovative technology and products in hearing acoustics
- Ai-Media: Remote captioning. 5 tips for travelling with hearing loss!
- Bellman & Symfon: home alerting solutions
- Deaf Umbrella: sign language interpreting and communications support
- Clarion: BSL/English interpreting and employment services
- Appa: Communication services for Deaf, Deafblind and hard of hearing people
- Signature: Find out about the Signature conference here.
- SignVideo: Instant BSL video interpreting online
- 121 Captions: captioning and speech-to-text services
- Hearing Direct: Online hearing aids
- The National Theatre: Captioned and BSL accessible theatre in London
- Doncaster School for the Deaf: education for Deaf children
- SignLive: Online video interpreting for Deaf people
- Royal School for the Deaf, Derby: Residential education for deaf children
- RAD Tax Advice: Tax and Tax Credit info for Deaf people
- Deaf Independent: Deaf care and support services
- Signworld: online BSL learning and teaching materials
- Performance Interpreting: BSL interpreting at concerts
- National Deaf Children's Society: The leading charity for deaf children
- DCAL: Find out how to study at the Deafness Cognition and Language Research Centre, London
- cSeeker: Deaf-led educational communication support service
- Signed Culture: Advocating for BSL access to arts and culture
- Sarah Gatford: BSL interpreting, training and consultancy
- SignHealth: healthcare charity for Deaf people
- CJ Interpreting: communication support in BSL
- Sign Solutions:, language and learning
- Action Deafness Communications: sign language and Red Dot online video interpreting
- BSLcourses.co.uk: Provider of online BSL courses
- British Society for Mental Health and Deafness: Promoting positive mental health for deaf people
- deafPLUS: Money advice line in BSL
- Hamilton Lodge School in Brighton: education for Deaf children
- Lipspeaker UK: specialist lipspeaking support
- Ozen: Australian hearing aid specialists
- Elmfield School, Bristol: Inclusive education for Deaf pupils
- Exeter Deaf Academy: education for Deaf children