Gerry achieved the feat at around 9am this morning when he crossed his outward route. He is now sailing home, with hundreds of Deaf people expected to welcome him back on dry land, including his wife, Kay, and their two daughters.
Gerry has been away for over 8 months now, and estimates he will arrive in Troon on Wednesday afternoon at 1pm. There will be a live stream online so people can watch his return from home.
Gerry set off on his journey from Troon, Scotland on 1st September last year, in his yacht, Quest III. Since then he has passed the five great capes, becoming the first Deaf person to circumnavigate the world solo by this route.
There was a boost for Gerry with two days remaining when Niall McCormack, the Deaf Irish artist, managed to see Gerry and wave to him as he passed Belmullet on the west coast of Ireland this afternoon.
Gerry’s quest has captured the imagination of the Deaf community, with thousands of people following his progress on Facebook and his personal website, with many people raising funds to support his journey. Find out more at his website – gerrysmhughes.com.
From all of us here at Limping Chicken – Go Go Go Gerry!
The Limping Chicken is the UK’s deaf blogs and news website, and is the world’s most popular deaf blog. It is edited by Deaf journalist and filmmaker Charlie Swinbourne.
- Phonak: innovative technology and products in hearing acoustics
- Ai-Live: Check out 15 Heartwarming Whispers about Deafness
- Bellman & Symfon: home alerting solutions
- Deaf Umbrella: sign language interpreting and communications support
- Clarion: BSL/English interpreting and employment services
- Appa: Communication services for Deaf, Deafblind and hard of hearing people
- SignVideo: Instant BSL video interpreting online
- 121 Captions: captioning and speech-to-text services
- Hearing Direct: Online hearing aids
- Doncaster School for the Deaf: education for Deaf children
- Signworld: online BSL learning and teaching materials
- DCAL: Find out how to study at the Deafness Cognition and Language Research Centre, London
- Signed Culture: Advocating for BSL access to arts and culture
- Sarah Gatford: BSL interpreting, training and consultancy
- SignHealth: healthcare charity for Deaf people
- CJ Interpreting: communication support in BSL
- Sign Solutions:, language and learning
- Sign Lingual: BSL interpreting and communication services
- Action Deafness Communications: sign language and Red Dot online video interpreting
- SDHH: Project Development and Consultancy
- Mykasoft: Deaf-run Web Design Studio
- BSLcourses.co.uk: Provider of online BSL courses
- British Society for Mental Health and Deafness: Promoting positive mental health for deaf people
- deafPLUS: Money advice line in BSL
- Hamilton Lodge School in Brighton: education for Deaf children
- Lipspeaker UK: specialist lipspeaking support
- Ozen: Australian hearing aid specialists
- Elmfield School, Bristol: Inclusive education for Deaf pupils
- Krazy Kat: visual theatre with BSL
- Exeter Deaf Academy: education for Deaf children