Click on the titles to go to Remark’s website, then click ‘BSL’ to watch the news in beautiful sign language!
Son explains how he had to tell his Deaf father he was going to die
One day, at what Matt thought would be a routine appointment, a consultant arrived, and explained that his Deaf father should not carry on having treatment and it was now better to focus on his care during his final days.
Deaf man has hearing aid fitted using rib bone
Brian Hogg is 29 and he was the first person in the UK to be given the implant, which was fitted in Scotland. It is called a Bonebridge, and it’s for people who cannot wear a conventional hearing aid.
Housing complex for deaf people may discriminate against hearing people
an audit by the Department of Housing and Urban development has found that the complex could face charges of discrimination. The reason? The complex’s policy of favouring deaf and hard of hearing residents over hearing people and people with other disabilities.
Deaf woman in India finds her abducted son
Sushma Karde was begging when she saw her son talking to a young man who offered him a sweet. Then, a few minutes later, she saw him carrying her son away. She tried to tell people but when no-one could understand her signing, she went to the Railway Police.
Concerns about airgun testing effect on deaf whales
As part of the testing, airguns blast compressed air into the ocean floor to search for oil and gas. The sound of the blasts are 100,000 times more intense than the sound of a jet engine, and they occur every 10 seconds.
Every week we feature Deaf news in British Sign Language (BSL) courtesy of our sponsor, Remark! To find out more about the company and the services they provide, just visit their website, http://remark.uk.com.
The Limping Chicken is the world's most popular Deaf blog, and is edited by Deaf journalist and filmmaker Charlie Swinbourne.
The site exists thanks to our supporters. Check them out below:
- Signature: Leading awarding body for BSL qualifications
- Ai-Media: Remote captioning. Find out 7 things deaf people want you to know!
- Bellman & Symfon: home alerting solutions
- Deaf Umbrella: sign language interpreting and communications support
- BSL Zone: TV programmes in BSL for the Deaf community
- Eyewitness Media: TV and film from a Deaf perspective
- Appa: Communication services for Deaf, Deafblind and hard of hearing people
- SignLive: Online video interpreting for Deaf people
- SignVideo: Instant BSL video interpreting online
- 121 Captions: captioning and speech-to-text services
- The National Theatre: Captioned and BSL accessible theatre in London
- Doncaster School for the Deaf: education for Deaf children
- Signworld: Learn BSL online!
- Action Deafness Communications: sign language and Red Dot online video interpreting
- BSLcourses.co.uk: Provider of online BSL courses
- Association of Notetaking Professionals: The professional body representing Electronic and Manual Notetakers
- Sign Solutions: communication support, training and translation
- InterpretersLive: On demand BSL video interpretation
- Hamilton Lodge School in Brighton: education for Deaf children
- Lipspeaker UK: specialist lipspeaking support
- Hearing Choices: Australian hearing aid specialists
- Elmfield School, Bristol: Inclusive education for Deaf pupils
- deafPLUS: BSL advice helpline
- Exeter Deaf Academy: education for Deaf children
- Royal Shakespeare Company: Captioned and BSL interpreted performances (see dates here)
- Royal School for the Deaf, Derby: Residential education for deaf children
- RAD Tax Advice: Tax and Tax Credit info for Deaf people
- Performance Interpreting: BSL interpreting at concerts
- National Deaf Children's Society: The leading charity for deaf children
- Signed Culture: Advocating for BSL access to arts and culture
- SignHealth: healthcare charity for Deaf people
- CJ Interpreting: communication support in BSL
- British Society for Mental Health and Deafness: Promoting positive mental health for deaf people