Click on the titles to go to Remark’s website, then click ‘BSL’ to watch the news in beautiful sign language!
Gerry Hughes becomes first British Deaf person to sail around the world
Having achieved his goal, Gerry is now sailing home to Scotland, with hundreds of Deaf people expected to welcome him back, travelling to meet him from across the UK.
Indian Deaf cricket team refused flight because of deafness
The team were told by the airline that ‘company policy’ meant they could not board the flight, with the pilot refusing to take them for “safety reasons.” The decision meant that a welcoming committee waiting for them at their destination, including sponsors, were left waiting.
Drug addicts burgle home of deaf woman – then use her phone to book taxi
Having collected their swag, they then used her home phone to book a taxi to pick them up at 5.45am in the morning. Neighbours saw them waiting outside the house, and phoned the police, but the pair escaped in the taxi before the police arrived.
Ghana introduces sign language interpreters in hospitals
Ghana’s Ministry of Gender, Children and Social Protection has decided to work with the Ministry of Health to provide interpreters at hospitals across the country. Additionally, sign language studies are set to be introduced into the curriculum for people training to work in healthcare.
American Deaf couple accused of death of their baby
It has been reported that the baby’s father confessed to beating her when she would not stop crying. According to police records, both parents had been drinking on the night of the incident.
85 percent of Deaf consumers prefer using a solicitor who can sign
Rob Wilks, Head of RAD Deaf Law Centre, said: “the statistics prove that specialist legal advice from a solicitor who uses BSL is vital in order for Deaf people to be able to fully understand what can be very complex legal language”.
Every week we feature Deaf news in British Sign Language (BSL) courtesy of our sponsor, Remark! To find out more about the company and the services they provide, just visit their website, http://remark.uk.com.
The Limping Chicken is the world's most popular Deaf blog, and is edited by Deaf journalist and filmmaker Charlie Swinbourne.
The site exists thanks to our supporters. Check them out below:
- Signature: Leading awarding body for BSL qualifications
- Ai-Media: Remote captioning. Find out 7 things deaf people want you to know!
- Bellman & Symfon: home alerting solutions
- Deaf Umbrella: sign language interpreting and communications support
- BSL Zone: TV programmes in BSL for the Deaf community
- Eyewitness Media: TV and film from a Deaf perspective
- Appa: Communication services for Deaf, Deafblind and hard of hearing people
- SignLive: Online video interpreting for Deaf people
- SignVideo: Instant BSL video interpreting online
- 121 Captions: captioning and speech-to-text services
- The National Theatre: Captioned and BSL accessible theatre in London
- Doncaster School for the Deaf: education for Deaf children
- Signworld: Learn BSL online!
- Action Deafness Communications: sign language and Red Dot online video interpreting
- BSLcourses.co.uk: Provider of online BSL courses
- Association of Notetaking Professionals: The professional body representing Electronic and Manual Notetakers
- Sign Solutions: communication support, training and translation
- InterpretersLive: On demand BSL video interpretation
- Hamilton Lodge School in Brighton: education for Deaf children
- Lipspeaker UK: specialist lipspeaking support
- Hearing Choices: Australian hearing aid specialists
- Elmfield School, Bristol: Inclusive education for Deaf pupils
- deafPLUS: BSL advice helpline
- Exeter Deaf Academy: education for Deaf children
- Royal Shakespeare Company: Captioned and BSL interpreted performances (see dates here)
- Royal School for the Deaf, Derby: Residential education for deaf children
- RAD Tax Advice: Tax and Tax Credit info for Deaf people
- Performance Interpreting: BSL interpreting at concerts
- National Deaf Children's Society: The leading charity for deaf children
- Signed Culture: Advocating for BSL access to arts and culture
- SignHealth: healthcare charity for Deaf people
- CJ Interpreting: communication support in BSL
- British Society for Mental Health and Deafness: Promoting positive mental health for deaf people