Click on the titles to go to Remark’s website, then click ‘BSL’ to watch the news in beautiful sign language!
Gerry Hughes becomes first British Deaf person to sail around the world
Having achieved his goal, Gerry is now sailing home to Scotland, with hundreds of Deaf people expected to welcome him back, travelling to meet him from across the UK.
Indian Deaf cricket team refused flight because of deafness
The team were told by the airline that ‘company policy’ meant they could not board the flight, with the pilot refusing to take them for “safety reasons.” The decision meant that a welcoming committee waiting for them at their destination, including sponsors, were left waiting.
Drug addicts burgle home of deaf woman – then use her phone to book taxi
Having collected their swag, they then used her home phone to book a taxi to pick them up at 5.45am in the morning. Neighbours saw them waiting outside the house, and phoned the police, but the pair escaped in the taxi before the police arrived.
Ghana introduces sign language interpreters in hospitals
Ghana’s Ministry of Gender, Children and Social Protection has decided to work with the Ministry of Health to provide interpreters at hospitals across the country. Additionally, sign language studies are set to be introduced into the curriculum for people training to work in healthcare.
American Deaf couple accused of death of their baby
It has been reported that the baby’s father confessed to beating her when she would not stop crying. According to police records, both parents had been drinking on the night of the incident.
85 percent of Deaf consumers prefer using a solicitor who can sign
Rob Wilks, Head of RAD Deaf Law Centre, said: “the statistics prove that specialist legal advice from a solicitor who uses BSL is vital in order for Deaf people to be able to fully understand what can be very complex legal language”.
Every week we feature Deaf news in British Sign Language (BSL) courtesy of our sponsor, Remark! To find out more about the company and the services they provide, just visit their website, http://remark.uk.com.
The Limping Chicken is the UK’s deaf blogs and news website, and is the world’s most popular deaf blog. It is edited by Deaf journalist and filmmaker Charlie Swinbourne.
Please note that the views of the writers are their own, and not necessarily the views of the Editor or site as a whole. Read our disclaimer here.
- Phonak: innovative technology and products in hearing acoustics
- Ai-Media: Remote captioning. 5 tips for travelling with hearing loss!
- Bellman & Symfon: home alerting solutions
- Deaf Umbrella: sign language interpreting and communications support
- Clarion: BSL/English interpreting and employment services
- Appa: Communication services for Deaf, Deafblind and hard of hearing people
- Signature: Find out about the Signature conference here.
- SignVideo: Instant BSL video interpreting online
- 121 Captions: captioning and speech-to-text services
- Hearing Direct: Online hearing aids
- The National Theatre: Captioned and BSL accessible theatre in London
- Doncaster School for the Deaf: education for Deaf children
- SignLive: Online video interpreting for Deaf people
- Royal School for the Deaf, Derby: Residential education for deaf children
- RAD Tax Advice: Tax and Tax Credit info for Deaf people
- Deaf Independent: Deaf care and support services
- Signworld: online BSL learning and teaching materials
- Performance Interpreting: BSL interpreting at concerts
- National Deaf Children's Society: The leading charity for deaf children
- DCAL: Find out how to study at the Deafness Cognition and Language Research Centre, London
- cSeeker: Deaf-led educational communication support service
- Signed Culture: Advocating for BSL access to arts and culture
- Sarah Gatford: BSL interpreting, training and consultancy
- SignHealth: healthcare charity for Deaf people
- CJ Interpreting: communication support in BSL
- Sign Solutions:, language and learning
- Action Deafness Communications: sign language and Red Dot online video interpreting
- BSLcourses.co.uk: Provider of online BSL courses
- British Society for Mental Health and Deafness: Promoting positive mental health for deaf people
- deafPLUS: Money advice line in BSL
- Hamilton Lodge School in Brighton: education for Deaf children
- Lipspeaker UK: specialist lipspeaking support
- Ozen: Australian hearing aid specialists
- Elmfield School, Bristol: Inclusive education for Deaf pupils
- Exeter Deaf Academy: education for Deaf children