Responding to the Comprehensive Spending Review, Brian Gale, Director of Policy and Campaigns at the National Deaf Children’s Society (NDCS), said:
“Whilst it is positive news that schools funding will continue to be protected, it is a hollow pledge if the Government does not intervene to protect specialist support for deaf children at a local level.
“Since 2010 thousands of deaf children across England have faced a cut to specialist support such as Teachers of the Deaf, despite the Government pledging to protect education funding in the last Spending Review.
“National Deaf Children’s Society figures show 29% of local authorities plan to cut education services for deaf children in 2013/14, with a further 31% possibly making cuts. These cuts are having a devastating impact on deaf children. Teachers of the Deaf are not a luxury, they are absolutely vital for deaf children’s education.
“Last year GCSE attainment for deaf students dropped for the first time since records began, with only 37% of deaf students achieving five good GCSEs.”
“We are extremely concerned that the results of the Spending Review do not go far enough to ensure deaf children get the support they need.NDCS is running the Stolen Futures campaign to call on the Government to protect specialist education support and intervene where cuts to deaf children’s services are being made by local authorities. Action is needed now to stop more deaf children being failed.”
The Limping Chicken is the UK’s deaf blogs and news website, and is the world’s most popular deaf blog. It is edited by Deaf journalist and filmmaker Charlie Swinbourne.
Please note that the views of the writers are their own, and not necessarily the views of the Editor or site as a whole. Read our disclaimer here.
- Ai-Media: Remote captioning. How to turn on captions on your smartphone
- Bellman & Symfon: home alerting solutions
- Deaf Umbrella: sign language interpreting and communications support
- Appa: Communication services for Deaf, Deafblind and hard of hearing people
- Signature: Find out about the Signature conference here.
- SignVideo: Instant BSL video interpreting online
- 121 Captions: captioning and speech-to-text services
- Hearing Direct: Online hearing aids
- The National Theatre: Captioned and BSL accessible theatre in London
- Doncaster School for the Deaf: education for Deaf children
- SignLive: Online video interpreting for Deaf people
- Royal Shakespeare Company: Captioned and BSL interpreted performances (see dates here)
- Royal School for the Deaf, Derby: Residential education for deaf children
- RAD Tax Advice: Tax and Tax Credit info for Deaf people
- Deaf Independent: Deaf care and support services
- Signworld: online BSL learning and teaching materials
- Performance Interpreting: BSL interpreting at concerts
- National Deaf Children's Society: The leading charity for deaf children
- DCAL: Find out how to study at the Deafness Cognition and Language Research Centre, London
- cSeeker: Deaf-led educational communication support service
- Signed Culture: Advocating for BSL access to arts and culture
- SignHealth: healthcare charity for Deaf people
- CJ Interpreting: communication support in BSL
- Sign Solutions:, language and learning
- Action Deafness Communications: sign language and Red Dot online video interpreting
- BSLcourses.co.uk: Provider of online BSL courses
- British Society for Mental Health and Deafness: Promoting positive mental health for deaf people
- deafPLUS: Money advice line in BSL
- Hamilton Lodge School in Brighton: education for Deaf children
- Lipspeaker UK: specialist lipspeaking support
- Ozen: Australian hearing aid specialists
- Elmfield School, Bristol: Inclusive education for Deaf pupils
- Exeter Deaf Academy: education for Deaf children