Donaldson’s Deaf School’s Chief Executive and Head Teacher have been suspended pending the outcome of an investigation, according to the Edinburgh Evening News.
The school’s board of governors – based in Linlithgow, Scotland – has ordered an investigation into the school’s handling of a historic allegation of inappropriate behaviour.
The board of Donaldson’s Deaf School, Linlithgow, ordered an investigation after an alleged “inappropriate physical act” by an unnamed member of staff four years ago.
It is understood the incident did not happen at Donaldson’s and involved a young adult who was not connected with the school.
But staff were aware of it and took no action.
When the case was raised at a meeting last term, the school decided further action was required and the member of staff was suspended and police were contacted.
Now the board has taken the unusual step of suspending chief executive Janice MacNeill and head teacher Mary O’Brien to establish whether correct procedures were followed and why appropriate action was not taken sooner.
Mary Mulligan, convener of the board of governors, said: “Staff were aware of the 2009 incident at the time, but no official action was taken then. “Following the decision to contact the police about the incident, the board asked whether the correct child protection procedures had been followed.
“We are now conducting an inquiry to establish whether those procedures were followed and to ensure the correct procedures are in place going forward.”
By Paul Harrison, the Limping Chicken’s News Reporter. Paul is a freelance journalist, currently living and working in London. When not at his desk writing or tweeting, he can be found at a coffee shop or Loftus Road/The Stoop/Celtic Park (delete as applicable) mumbling insults at the referee or sloppy passing. Follow him on Twitter as @paulbharrison
The Limping Chicken is supported by a range of charities and organisations linked to deafness, all of whom offer services that enhance deaf lives. Click on the images on the right-hand side of this site or go to our Supporters page to find out all about them!
The Limping Chicken is the world's most popular Deaf blog, and is edited by Deaf journalist and filmmaker Charlie Swinbourne.
The site exists thanks to our supporters. Check them out below:
- Signature: Leading awarding body for BSL qualifications
- Ai-Media: Remote captioning. Find out 7 things deaf people want you to know!
- Bellman & Symfon: home alerting solutions
- Deaf Umbrella: sign language interpreting and communications support
- BSL Zone: TV programmes in BSL for the Deaf community
- Eyewitness Media: TV and film from a Deaf perspective
- Appa: Communication services for Deaf, Deafblind and hard of hearing people
- SignLive: Online video interpreting for Deaf people
- SignVideo: Instant BSL video interpreting online
- 121 Captions: captioning and speech-to-text services
- The National Theatre: Captioned and BSL accessible theatre in London
- Doncaster School for the Deaf: education for Deaf children
- Signworld: Learn BSL online!
- Action Deafness Communications: sign language and Red Dot online video interpreting
- BSLcourses.co.uk: Provider of online BSL courses
- Association of Notetaking Professionals: The professional body representing Electronic and Manual Notetakers
- Sign Solutions: communication support, training and translation
- InterpretersLive: On demand BSL video interpretation
- Hamilton Lodge School in Brighton: education for Deaf children
- Lipspeaker UK: specialist lipspeaking support
- Hearing Choices: Australian hearing aid specialists
- Elmfield School, Bristol: Inclusive education for Deaf pupils
- deafPLUS: BSL advice helpline
- Exeter Deaf Academy: education for Deaf children
- Royal Shakespeare Company: Captioned and BSL interpreted performances (see dates here)
- Royal School for the Deaf, Derby: Residential education for deaf children
- RAD Tax Advice: Tax and Tax Credit info for Deaf people
- Performance Interpreting: BSL interpreting at concerts
- National Deaf Children's Society: The leading charity for deaf children
- Signed Culture: Advocating for BSL access to arts and culture
- SignHealth: healthcare charity for Deaf people
- CJ Interpreting: communication support in BSL
- British Society for Mental Health and Deafness: Promoting positive mental health for deaf people