Derby City Council have worked with a range of deaf organisations to ‘officially sign a commitment of equality’ yesterday (Thursday). The official commitment by the council ‘encompasses both Deaf people and hearing impaired people – the first time that both communities have been recognised under a single charter’ according to Derby Council’s website
More sign language users live in Derby than in any other city in the UK outside London with 1,000 users. The popular Royal School for the Deaf is also in Derby. The commitment made by the council and agreed upon by the British Deaf Association, CAMTAD and others includes the following six pledges:
- Providing access for Deaf and hearing impaired people to information and services
- Promoting learning and high quality teaching of British Sign Language
- Promoting learning and high quality teaching of lip speaking skills
- Supporting families with Deaf or hearing impaired family members
- Making sure that when our employees are working with Deaf people that they can communicate effectively in British Sign Language
- Consult with local Deaf and hearing impaired people regularly.
Derby City Council has committed £5,100 to train local businesses and organisations about their legal requirements to provide BSL signers and lip readers if asked to do so and to train deaf people so they are aware of their rights to make requests.
The British Deaf Association, CamTAD and the Derby Deaf Forum will form a partnership to carry out the training.
See the full story here
The Limping Chicken is the world's most popular Deaf blog, and is edited by Deaf journalist and filmmaker Charlie Swinbourne. Find out how to write for us by clicking here, how to follow us by clicking here, and read our disclaimer here.
The site exists thanks to our supporters. Check them out below:
- Signature: Leading awarding body for BSL qualifications
- Ai-Media: Remote captioning. Find out about 6 awesome accessibility apps!
- Bellman & Symfon: home alerting solutions
- Deaf Umbrella: sign language interpreting and communications support
- Eyewitness Media: TV and film from a Deaf perspective
- Appa: Communication services for Deaf, Deafblind and hard of hearing people
- SignLive: Online video interpreting for Deaf people
- SignVideo: Instant BSL video interpreting online
- 121 Captions: captioning and speech-to-text services
- The National Theatre: Captioned and BSL accessible theatre in London
- Doncaster School for the Deaf: education for Deaf children
- Signworld: Learn BSL online!
- Action Deafness Communications: sign language and Red Dot online video interpreting
- BSLcourses.co.uk: Provider of online BSL courses
- Association of Notetaking Professionals: The professional body representing Electronic and Manual Notetakers
- Sign Solutions: communication support, training and translation
- InterpretersLive: On demand BSL video interpretation
- Hamilton Lodge School in Brighton: education for Deaf children
- Lipspeaker UK: specialist lipspeaking support
- Ozen: Australian hearing aid specialists
- Elmfield School, Bristol: Inclusive education for Deaf pupils
- deafPLUS: BSL advice helpline
- Exeter Deaf Academy: education for Deaf children
- Royal Shakespeare Company: Captioned and BSL interpreted performances (see dates here)
- Royal School for the Deaf, Derby: Residential education for deaf children
- RAD Tax Advice: Tax and Tax Credit info for Deaf people
- Performance Interpreting: BSL interpreting at concerts
- National Deaf Children's Society: The leading charity for deaf children
- Signed Culture: Advocating for BSL access to arts and culture
- SignHealth: healthcare charity for Deaf people
- CJ Interpreting: communication support in BSL
- British Society for Mental Health and Deafness: Promoting positive mental health for deaf people