There was a proud moment for a group of Communication Support Workers and for Deaf Umbrella (one of this site’s supporters) when the Bexley Mayor visited their offices last week to congratulate the first Level 4 CSW’s in the UK.
Rachel Hubbard, from Deaf Umbrella, told us: “With individual student needs it is important that support workers have skills and strategies to ensure assessment needs are met, they provide a cohesive link with other professionals and support the development and knowledge of class teachers to enable teaching in a deaf friendly way.”
She adds: “The Secretary of State for Education Rt Hon Michael Gove MP said: “The quality of teachers has a greater influence on children’s achievement than any other aspect of their education.” We agree, the quality of support offered to deaf students should be of the highest standards to help create independent and confident individuals who are able to access their education fully.”
Deaf Umbrella have welcomed the next cohort of students onto their Level 4 CSW training, which is credit rated by the University of Greenwich at 60 credits. They also plan on adding an new induction date in January due to demand.
Anyone interested in the course should visit www.deafumbrella.com
The Limping Chicken is the world's most popular Deaf blog, and is edited by Deaf journalist and filmmaker Charlie Swinbourne.
The site exists thanks to our supporters. Check them out below:
- Signature: Leading awarding body for BSL qualifications
- Ai-Media: Remote captioning. Find out 7 things deaf people want you to know!
- Bellman & Symfon: home alerting solutions
- Deaf Umbrella: sign language interpreting and communications support
- BSL Zone: TV programmes in BSL for the Deaf community
- Eyewitness Media: TV and film from a Deaf perspective
- Appa: Communication services for Deaf, Deafblind and hard of hearing people
- SignLive: Online video interpreting for Deaf people
- SignVideo: Instant BSL video interpreting online
- 121 Captions: captioning and speech-to-text services
- The National Theatre: Captioned and BSL accessible theatre in London
- Doncaster School for the Deaf: education for Deaf children
- Signworld: Learn BSL online!
- Action Deafness Communications: sign language and Red Dot online video interpreting
- BSLcourses.co.uk: Provider of online BSL courses
- Association of Notetaking Professionals: The professional body representing Electronic and Manual Notetakers
- Sign Solutions: communication support, training and translation
- InterpretersLive: On demand BSL video interpretation
- Hamilton Lodge School in Brighton: education for Deaf children
- Lipspeaker UK: specialist lipspeaking support
- Hearing Choices: Australian hearing aid specialists
- Elmfield School, Bristol: Inclusive education for Deaf pupils
- deafPLUS: BSL advice helpline
- Exeter Deaf Academy: education for Deaf children
- Royal Shakespeare Company: Captioned and BSL interpreted performances (see dates here)
- Royal School for the Deaf, Derby: Residential education for deaf children
- RAD Tax Advice: Tax and Tax Credit info for Deaf people
- Performance Interpreting: BSL interpreting at concerts
- National Deaf Children's Society: The leading charity for deaf children
- Signed Culture: Advocating for BSL access to arts and culture
- SignHealth: healthcare charity for Deaf people
- CJ Interpreting: communication support in BSL
- British Society for Mental Health and Deafness: Promoting positive mental health for deaf people