Video clips to help sport coaches and leaders learn basic, sports related British Sign Language (BSL) to support children with hearing loss have been launched.
The clips have been created by the National Deaf Children’s Society (NDCS) in partnership with several of the UK’s leading sports organisations, including England Athletics and England Netball.
Featuring key sport words and phrases that have been signed in British Sign Language (BSL), the short films are designed to help coaches communicate with deaf children during training sessions.
The BSL video clips are split into popular sporting activities, such as football, swimming, cricket, athletics, tennis and netball, as well as general sport. See them here
They aim to show, how through taking simple steps, coaches can address some of the communication challenges that many deaf children face, for instance missing out on what a coach says or not being able to hear a whistle blow.
Hayley Jarvis, Head of Inclusive Activities at NDCS, said: “Deafness is not a barrier to taking part in sport. By following simple steps like learning basic BSL signs, leaders and coaches can create a welcoming, deaf-friendly atmosphere in their club. We hope all sport clubs will have a go at learning the key signs and help create equal opportunities for deaf children to enjoy sport.”
To find out more about becoming a deaf-friendly sports club or to access activities in your area, visit www.ndcs.org.uk/me2 or call the NDCS Freephone Helpline on 0808 800 8880.
The Limping Chicken is the UK’s deaf blogs and news website, and is the world’s most popular deaf blog. It is edited by Deaf journalist and filmmaker Charlie Swinbourne.
- Phonak: innovative technology and products in hearing acoustics
- Ai-Live: Check out the 6 best deaf subreddits!
- Bellman & Symfon: home alerting solutions
- Deaf Umbrella: sign language interpreting and communications support
- Clarion: BSL/English interpreting and employment services
- Appa: Communication services for Deaf, Deafblind and hard of hearing people
- SignVideo: Instant BSL video interpreting online
- 121 Captions: captioning and speech-to-text services
- Hearing Direct: Online hearing aids
- Doncaster School for the Deaf: education for Deaf children
- Signworld: online BSL learning and teaching materials
- DCAL: Find out how to study at the Deafness Cognition and Language Research Centre, London
- Sarah Gatford: BSL interpreting, training and consultancy
- SignHealth: healthcare charity for Deaf people
- CJ Interpreting: communication support in BSL
- Sign Solutions:, language and learning
- Sign Lingual: BSL interpreting and communication services
- Action Deafness Communications: sign language and Red Dot online video interpreting
- SDHH: Project Development and Consultancy
- Mykasoft: Deaf-run Web Design Studio
- BSLcourses.co.uk: Provider of online BSL courses
- British Society for Mental Health and Deafness: Promoting positive mental health for deaf people
- deafPLUS: Money advice line in BSL
- Hamilton Lodge School in Brighton: education for Deaf children
- Lipspeaker UK: specialist lipspeaking support
- Ozen: Australian hearing aid specialists
- Elmfield School, Bristol: Inclusive education for Deaf pupils
- RAD: tax advice for Deaf people
- Krazy Kat: visual theatre with BSL
- Exeter Deaf Academy: education for Deaf children