Deaffest, the UK’s annual Deaf film and television festival, has announced that the Ben Steiner Bursary is back!
This The Ben Steiner Bursary was first launched in 2009 and was founded in the memory of Ben Steiner. Ben was a gifted and passionate individual who worked tirelessly in the Deaf community. Ben became renowned for his love for the arts and for his dedication to Deaf media practitioners. He strived for Deaf individuals to achieve their dreams.
Past winners of The Ben Steiner Bursary, which is worth £5000, are Bim Ajadi (Dead Money 2009), Stephen Collins (Luke Starr 2011) and Ted Evans (Retreat 2013) who all made their films after sending their ideas into the scheme. Their films have been highly recognised at both UK and international film festivals.
This year, Deaffest are giving deaf/ hard of hearing media practitioners another opportunity to produce a film that will be premiered exclusively at Deaffest, the UK’s only Deaf-led Film and Arts Festival in 2015.
This unique opportunity gives you the chance to produce a film, taking a step further and showing your work to the wider media community.
Are you interested? Please visit www.deaffest.co.uk/ben-steiner-bursary-2014 for further information and be sure to check the criteria before applying!
Any questions, please contact The Ben Steiner Bursary’s Coordinator Lou Buglass at Lou@zebra-access.com.
The Limping Chicken is the world's most popular Deaf blog, and is edited by Deaf journalist and filmmaker Charlie Swinbourne. Find out how to write for us by clicking here, how to follow us by clicking here, and read our disclaimer here.
The site exists thanks to our supporters. Check them out below:
- Signature: Leading awarding body for BSL qualifications
- Ai-Media: Remote captioning. Find out about 5 funny ways to use captions!
- Bellman & Symfon: home alerting solutions
- Deaf Umbrella: sign language interpreting and communications support
- Eyewitness Media: TV and film from a Deaf perspective
- Appa: Communication services for Deaf, Deafblind and hard of hearing people
- SignLive: Online video interpreting for Deaf people
- SignVideo: Instant BSL video interpreting online
- 121 Captions: captioning and speech-to-text services
- The National Theatre: Captioned and BSL accessible theatre in London
- Doncaster School for the Deaf: education for Deaf children
- Signworld: Learn BSL online!
- Action Deafness Communications: sign language and Red Dot online video interpreting
- BSLcourses.co.uk: Provider of online BSL courses
- Association of Notetaking Professionals: The professional body representing Electronic and Manual Notetakers
- Sign Solutions: communication support, training and translation
- InterpretersLive: On demand BSL video interpretation
- Hamilton Lodge School in Brighton: education for Deaf children
- Lipspeaker UK: specialist lipspeaking support
- Ozen: Australian hearing aid specialists
- Elmfield School, Bristol: Inclusive education for Deaf pupils
- deafPLUS: BSL advice helpline
- Exeter Deaf Academy: education for Deaf children
- Royal Shakespeare Company: Captioned and BSL interpreted performances (see dates here)
- Royal School for the Deaf, Derby: Residential education for deaf children
- RAD Tax Advice: Tax and Tax Credit info for Deaf people
- Performance Interpreting: BSL interpreting at concerts
- National Deaf Children's Society: The leading charity for deaf children
- Signed Culture: Advocating for BSL access to arts and culture
- SignHealth: healthcare charity for Deaf people
- CJ Interpreting: communication support in BSL
- British Society for Mental Health and Deafness: Promoting positive mental health for deaf people