It’s been a phenomenal week for the site, after we broke the news that the interpreter at the Nelson Mandela memorial service was fake, triggering worldwide coverage of the story.
The site has had a record amount of traffic, with our news article that broke the story getting 120,000 views alone. Here are the top five posts from last week!
- Deaf News: ‘Fake’ sign language interpreter mars Nelson Mandela service for Deaf people worldwide
- Professor Graham Turner: 10 lessons from the tale of the ‘fake’ interpreter“I didn’t know what would be done.” Deaf actor
- Matthew Gurney explains how he had an operation without being told what was going to happen
- Deaf News: Video shows ‘fake’ interpreter using comical sign for “machine gun” as Jacob Zuma sings ‘Kill the Boer’
- Emily Howlett: Do we appreciate sign language interpreters enough?
And the top three not from the previous seven days
- Charlie Swinbourne: The 10 annoying habits of hearing people
- Charlie Swinbourne: The 10 annoying habits of deaf people!
- Charlie Swinbourne: Ten things you should never say to a deaf person
Thanks to our readers, contributors and supporters. Check us out next week when, rain or shine, we’ll be back with more top news and views from the deaf world.
The Limping Chicken is supported by a range of charities and organisations linked to deafness, all of whom offer services that enhance deaf lives. Click on the images on the right-hand side of this site or go to our Supporters page
The Limping Chicken is the world's most popular Deaf blog, and is edited by Deaf journalist and filmmaker Charlie Swinbourne. Find out how to write for us by clicking here, how to follow us by clicking here, and read our disclaimer here.
The site exists thanks to our supporters. Check them out below:
- Signature: Leading awarding body for BSL qualifications
- Ai-Media: Remote captioning. Find out about 6 awesome accessibility apps!
- Bellman & Symfon: home alerting solutions
- Deaf Umbrella: sign language interpreting and communications support
- Eyewitness Media: TV and film from a Deaf perspective
- Appa: Communication services for Deaf, Deafblind and hard of hearing people
- SignLive: Online video interpreting for Deaf people
- SignVideo: Instant BSL video interpreting online
- 121 Captions: captioning and speech-to-text services
- The National Theatre: Captioned and BSL accessible theatre in London
- Doncaster School for the Deaf: education for Deaf children
- Signworld: Learn BSL online!
- Action Deafness Communications: sign language and Red Dot online video interpreting
- BSLcourses.co.uk: Provider of online BSL courses
- Association of Notetaking Professionals: The professional body representing Electronic and Manual Notetakers
- Sign Solutions: communication support, training and translation
- InterpretersLive: On demand BSL video interpretation
- Hamilton Lodge School in Brighton: education for Deaf children
- Lipspeaker UK: specialist lipspeaking support
- Ozen: Australian hearing aid specialists
- Elmfield School, Bristol: Inclusive education for Deaf pupils
- deafPLUS: BSL advice helpline
- Exeter Deaf Academy: education for Deaf children
- Royal Shakespeare Company: Captioned and BSL interpreted performances (see dates here)
- Royal School for the Deaf, Derby: Residential education for deaf children
- RAD Tax Advice: Tax and Tax Credit info for Deaf people
- Performance Interpreting: BSL interpreting at concerts
- National Deaf Children's Society: The leading charity for deaf children
- Signed Culture: Advocating for BSL access to arts and culture
- SignHealth: healthcare charity for Deaf people
- CJ Interpreting: communication support in BSL
- British Society for Mental Health and Deafness: Promoting positive mental health for deaf people