To check out the Real Interpreter website, click here.
What does Real Interpreter aim to do?
Real Interpreter is a movement to raise sign language and sign language interpreting awareness.
One way to do this is to create a place where real interpreting of speeches about Nelson Mandela and his tireless fight for equality are translated into various sign languages.
We are currently focused on translating the speeches from the Mandela memorial into International Sign (IS), South African Sign Language (SASL), and American Sign Language (ASL). Our next goal is to add more sign language translated videos from countries worldwide.
We want educate others on how to improve awareness and sensitivity for sign language and interpreting. We, as a community, are often forgotten by hearing people, especially when it comes to making decisions for deaf people.
The Deaf community is also underrepresented in the media. Inclusive actions would be working with us for accessibility and involving us in the process of any decision-making about us.
Why was Real Interpreter created?
There was a lot of reaction to the “Fake Interpreter” at Nelson Mandela’s memorial service which, although it gave sign language the exposure it needed, was saddening because it took the focus away from the purpose of the service itself: to pay tribute to such a revolutionary leader who dedicated his life to ending injustice.
This is an opportunity to continue Mandela’s legacy.Real Interpreter is so much more than simply having a counter-response to “Fake Interpreter”. From our ‘About’ page, “We want this to be a place of community exchange and resources. We welcome submissions of speech translations in your country’s sign language. Together, we can show the world what REAL sign languages look like.”
Who created Real Interpreter?
The entire team behind Real Interpreter is deaf. The website is brought to you by Convo.
As a Deaf company that primarily serves the Deaf community by providing video interpreting for their calls, we experience how interpreting affects our lives on a daily basis. Real interpreting is so important to us, because only when we feel confident that we’re being interpreted accurately can we let ourselves truly be ourselves.
We are also working with World Federation of the Deaf, and Braam Jordaan of WFD Youth Section in this Real Interpreter movement. This is an international Deaf issue.
The Limping Chicken is the UK’s deaf blogs and news website, and is the world’s most popular deaf blog. It is edited by Deaf journalist and filmmaker Charlie Swinbourne.
Please note that the views of the writers are their own, and not necessarily the views of the Editor or site as a whole. Read our disclaimer here.
- Rayovac: Never run out of hearing aid batteries again by subscribing!
- Ai-Media: Remote captioning. Find out how to add Live Captions to Facebook Live!
- Bellman & Symfon: home alerting solutions
- Deaf Umbrella: sign language interpreting and communications support
- Appa: Communication services for Deaf, Deafblind and hard of hearing people
- SignLive: Online video interpreting for Deaf people
- SignVideo: Instant BSL video interpreting online
- 121 Captions: captioning and speech-to-text services
- Hearing Direct: Online hearing aids
- Signature: Leading awarding body for BSL qualifications
- Signworld: Learn BSL online!
- Cast Theatre, Doncaster: The UK's the UK’s first fully BSL integrated pantomime
- The National Theatre: Captioned and BSL accessible theatre in London
- Doncaster School for the Deaf: education for Deaf children
- Sign Solutions: communication support, training and translation
- InterpretersLive: On demand BSL video interpretation
- Hamilton Lodge School in Brighton: education for Deaf children
- Lipspeaker UK: specialist lipspeaking support
- Ozen: Australian hearing aid specialists
- Elmfield School, Bristol: Inclusive education for Deaf pupils
- deafPLUS: BSL advice helpline
- Exeter Deaf Academy: education for Deaf children
- Royal Shakespeare Company: Captioned and BSL interpreted performances (see dates here)
- Royal School for the Deaf, Derby: Residential education for deaf children
- RAD Tax Advice: Tax and Tax Credit info for Deaf people
- Deaf Independent: Deaf care and support services
- Performance Interpreting: BSL interpreting at concerts
- National Deaf Children's Society: The leading charity for deaf children
- cSeeker: Deaf-led educational communication support service
- Signed Culture: Advocating for BSL access to arts and culture
- SignHealth: healthcare charity for Deaf people
- CJ Interpreting: communication support in BSL
- Action Deafness Communications: sign language and Red Dot online video interpreting
- BSLcourses.co.uk: Provider of online BSL courses
- British Society for Mental Health and Deafness: Promoting positive mental health for deaf people