Deaf NFL fans are celebrating after deaf American football player, Derrick Coleman’s side The Seattle Seahawks beat the San Fransicso 49ers 17-23 last night.
The Seahawks and Coleman will now play at the Superbowl on February 2nd against the Denver Broncos, giving Coleman the chance to win the biggest prize in American sport and become a Superbowl champion.
The game will take place at the Met Life Stadium in New Jersey, close to New York, in front of 82,000 fans and broadcast to hundreds of millions of fans around the world.
Derrick Coleman, who went deaf at the age of three, has become well known around the world after starring in an advert for battery manufacturer, Duracell.
The advert shows how Coleman was bullied as a child and initially rejected as a professional player but worked his way through reserve teams to take his place in the Seattle Seahawks first team.
One commenter on this site, Dee Dee said:
“Get ready Mr. Coleman!!! You are going to the Superbowl!! You are such an inspiration and I am truly blessed to see a historic event!! You never stopped believing and a as a fan I won’t stop believing that you will win the Superbowl!! Congratulations!!”
By Andy Palmer, Deputy Editor
The Limping Chicken is the UK’s independent deaf news and deaf blogs website, posting the very latest in deaf opinion, commentary and news, every weekday! Don’t forget to follow the site on Twitter and Facebook, and check out our supporters on the right-hand side of this site or click here.
The Limping Chicken is the world's most popular Deaf blog, and is edited by Deaf journalist and filmmaker Charlie Swinbourne.
The site exists thanks to our supporters. Check them out below:
- Signature: Leading awarding body for BSL qualifications
- Ai-Media: Remote captioning. Find out 7 things deaf people want you to know!
- Bellman & Symfon: home alerting solutions
- Deaf Umbrella: sign language interpreting and communications support
- BSL Zone: TV programmes in BSL for the Deaf community
- Eyewitness Media: TV and film from a Deaf perspective
- Appa: Communication services for Deaf, Deafblind and hard of hearing people
- SignLive: Online video interpreting for Deaf people
- SignVideo: Instant BSL video interpreting online
- 121 Captions: captioning and speech-to-text services
- The National Theatre: Captioned and BSL accessible theatre in London
- Doncaster School for the Deaf: education for Deaf children
- Signworld: Learn BSL online!
- Action Deafness Communications: sign language and Red Dot online video interpreting
- BSLcourses.co.uk: Provider of online BSL courses
- Association of Notetaking Professionals: The professional body representing Electronic and Manual Notetakers
- Sign Solutions: communication support, training and translation
- InterpretersLive: On demand BSL video interpretation
- Hamilton Lodge School in Brighton: education for Deaf children
- Lipspeaker UK: specialist lipspeaking support
- Hearing Choices: Australian hearing aid specialists
- Elmfield School, Bristol: Inclusive education for Deaf pupils
- deafPLUS: BSL advice helpline
- Exeter Deaf Academy: education for Deaf children
- Royal Shakespeare Company: Captioned and BSL interpreted performances (see dates here)
- Royal School for the Deaf, Derby: Residential education for deaf children
- RAD Tax Advice: Tax and Tax Credit info for Deaf people
- Performance Interpreting: BSL interpreting at concerts
- National Deaf Children's Society: The leading charity for deaf children
- Signed Culture: Advocating for BSL access to arts and culture
- SignHealth: healthcare charity for Deaf people
- CJ Interpreting: communication support in BSL
- British Society for Mental Health and Deafness: Promoting positive mental health for deaf people