A futuristic new wireless device, which looks like a gadget worthy of James Bond, has been launched by Phonak (one of the supporters of this site) aimed at giving deaf people another way of listening in noisy environments.
The new ‘Roger’ pen will initially be available to children. Compatible with virtually every hearing aid and cochlear implant, the device uses cutting-edge wireless microphone technology to pick up speech and transmit it directly into hearing instruments.
Powered by a unique speech-to-noise algorithm, Phonak say that the pen significantly surpasses existing technology, delivering a 54 per cent superior performance versus its nearest competitor in terms of speech clarity.
Other key benefits include an ability to automatically adjust to suit the environment and receivers that connect to the microphone with a single click – there are no frequencies to programme or manage as there have been with previous devices.
The ‘Roger’ transmitter is contained in a discreet pen shaped case, which can be worn by the speaker or placed in the middle of a group to pick up speech from several different people.
For more information on the ‘Roger’ technology, visit www.hearingadvisor.co.uk, which will also provide information on your local audiologist.
The Limping Chicken is the world's most popular Deaf blog, and is edited by Deaf journalist and filmmaker Charlie Swinbourne. Find out how to write for us by clicking here, how to follow us by clicking here, and read our disclaimer here.
The site exists thanks to our supporters. Check them out below:
- Eyewitness Media: TV and film from a Deaf perspective
- Ai-Media: Remote captioning. Find out about 5 funny ways to use captions!
- Bellman & Symfon: home alerting solutions
- Deaf Umbrella: sign language interpreting and communications support
- Appa: Communication services for Deaf, Deafblind and hard of hearing people
- SignLive: Online video interpreting for Deaf people
- SignVideo: Instant BSL video interpreting online
- 121 Captions: captioning and speech-to-text services
- Signature: Leading awarding body for BSL qualifications
- The National Theatre: Captioned and BSL accessible theatre in London
- Doncaster School for the Deaf: education for Deaf children
- Signworld: Learn BSL online!
- Action Deafness Communications: sign language and Red Dot online video interpreting
- BSLcourses.co.uk: Provider of online BSL courses
- Association of Notetaking Professionals: The professional body representing Electronic and Manual Notetakers
- Sign Solutions: communication support, training and translation
- InterpretersLive: On demand BSL video interpretation
- Hamilton Lodge School in Brighton: education for Deaf children
- Lipspeaker UK: specialist lipspeaking support
- Ozen: Australian hearing aid specialists
- Elmfield School, Bristol: Inclusive education for Deaf pupils
- deafPLUS: BSL advice helpline
- Exeter Deaf Academy: education for Deaf children
- Royal Shakespeare Company: Captioned and BSL interpreted performances (see dates here)
- Royal School for the Deaf, Derby: Residential education for deaf children
- RAD Tax Advice: Tax and Tax Credit info for Deaf people
- Performance Interpreting: BSL interpreting at concerts
- National Deaf Children's Society: The leading charity for deaf children
- Signed Culture: Advocating for BSL access to arts and culture
- SignHealth: healthcare charity for Deaf people
- CJ Interpreting: communication support in BSL
- British Society for Mental Health and Deafness: Promoting positive mental health for deaf people