Northamptonshire Police has become the first force in the country to offer an innovative service that gives on-demand access to fully qualified British Sign Language interpreters – at the click of a button.
The service is aimed at improving access for those who rely on, or prefer using, sign language.
Those using the service will be able to access interpreters in seconds via a secure video link, who will then relay the call to the 101 operators on their behalf.
Lynn Coppin of Northamptonshire Police said: “I’m delighted that we are further improving access to our service by enhancing what we already have in place – the Disability Line and Keep Safe.
“The force has recognised that British Sign Language users find it difficult to contact us by telephone. To overcome this communication barrier, we have teamed up with SignVideo to offer what is called the BSL Live service.
“There is no need to register for the service – a computer with a webcam and internet connection is all that are required.”
Jeff McWhinney, Founder and CEO of SignVideo (a supporter of this site) said:
“Northamptonshire Police are to be commended for being the first Police force to offer such a service. We are delighted that Northamptonshire Police are making this positive step to become more inclusive & accessible to Deaf BSL users, who can now be confident in calling the 101 service via fully qualified BSL interpreters, opening up access to the force for those who rely on sign language to communicate. Deaf people like myself look forward to this initiative being taken up by other police forces.”
The Limping Chicken is the UK’s deaf blogs and news website, and is the world’s most popular deaf blog. It is edited by Deaf journalist and filmmaker Charlie Swinbourne.
Please note that the views of the writers are their own, and not necessarily the views of the Editor or site as a whole. Read our disclaimer here.
- Rayovac: Never run out of hearing aid batteries again by subscribing!
- Ai-Media: Remote captioning. Find out how to add Live Captions to Facebook Live!
- Bellman & Symfon: home alerting solutions
- Deaf Umbrella: sign language interpreting and communications support
- Appa: Communication services for Deaf, Deafblind and hard of hearing people
- SignLive: Online video interpreting for Deaf people
- SignVideo: Instant BSL video interpreting online
- 121 Captions: captioning and speech-to-text services
- Hearing Direct: Online hearing aids
- Signature: Leading awarding body for BSL qualifications
- Signworld: Learn BSL online!
- Cast Theatre, Doncaster: The UK's the UK’s first fully BSL integrated pantomime
- The National Theatre: Captioned and BSL accessible theatre in London
- Doncaster School for the Deaf: education for Deaf children
- Sign Solutions: communication support, training and translation
- InterpretersLive: On demand BSL video interpretation
- Hamilton Lodge School in Brighton: education for Deaf children
- Lipspeaker UK: specialist lipspeaking support
- Ozen: Australian hearing aid specialists
- Elmfield School, Bristol: Inclusive education for Deaf pupils
- deafPLUS: BSL advice helpline
- Exeter Deaf Academy: education for Deaf children
- Royal Shakespeare Company: Captioned and BSL interpreted performances (see dates here)
- Royal School for the Deaf, Derby: Residential education for deaf children
- RAD Tax Advice: Tax and Tax Credit info for Deaf people
- Deaf Independent: Deaf care and support services
- Performance Interpreting: BSL interpreting at concerts
- National Deaf Children's Society: The leading charity for deaf children
- cSeeker: Deaf-led educational communication support service
- Signed Culture: Advocating for BSL access to arts and culture
- SignHealth: healthcare charity for Deaf people
- CJ Interpreting: communication support in BSL
- Action Deafness Communications: sign language and Red Dot online video interpreting
- BSLcourses.co.uk: Provider of online BSL courses
- British Society for Mental Health and Deafness: Promoting positive mental health for deaf people