Northamptonshire Police has become the first force in the country to offer an innovative service that gives on-demand access to fully qualified British Sign Language interpreters – at the click of a button.
The service is aimed at improving access for those who rely on, or prefer using, sign language.
Those using the service will be able to access interpreters in seconds via a secure video link, who will then relay the call to the 101 operators on their behalf.
Lynn Coppin of Northamptonshire Police said: “I’m delighted that we are further improving access to our service by enhancing what we already have in place – the Disability Line and Keep Safe.
“The force has recognised that British Sign Language users find it difficult to contact us by telephone. To overcome this communication barrier, we have teamed up with SignVideo to offer what is called the BSL Live service.
“There is no need to register for the service – a computer with a webcam and internet connection is all that are required.”
Jeff McWhinney, Founder and CEO of SignVideo (a supporter of this site) said:
“Northamptonshire Police are to be commended for being the first Police force to offer such a service. We are delighted that Northamptonshire Police are making this positive step to become more inclusive & accessible to Deaf BSL users, who can now be confident in calling the 101 service via fully qualified BSL interpreters, opening up access to the force for those who rely on sign language to communicate. Deaf people like myself look forward to this initiative being taken up by other police forces.”
The Limping Chicken is the world's most popular Deaf blog, and is edited by Deaf journalist and filmmaker Charlie Swinbourne.
The site exists thanks to our supporters. Check them out below:
- Signature: Leading awarding body for BSL qualifications
- Ai-Media: Remote captioning. Find out the benefits of live captioning at university!
- Bellman & Symfon: home alerting solutions
- Deaf Umbrella: sign language interpreting and communications support
- BSL Zone: TV programmes in BSL for the Deaf community
- Stellar Communications: Speech-to-Text services
- Appa: Communication services for Deaf, Deafblind and hard of hearing people
- SignLive: Online video interpreting for Deaf people
- SignVideo: Instant BSL video interpreting online
- 121 Captions: captioning and speech-to-text services
- Eyewitness Media: TV and film from a Deaf perspective
- The National Theatre: Captioned and BSL accessible theatre in London
- Doncaster School for the Deaf: education for Deaf children
- Signworld: Learn BSL online!
- Helen Foulkes Translations: BSL translations
- RAD Tax Advice: Tax and Tax Credit info for Deaf people
- Performance Interpreting: BSL interpreting at concerts
- National Deaf Children's Society: The leading charity for deaf children
- Signed Culture: Advocating for BSL access to arts and culture
- SignHealth: healthcare charity for Deaf people
- CJ Interpreting: communication support in BSL
- British Society for Mental Health and Deafness: Promoting positive mental health for deaf people
- Action Deafness Communications: sign language and Red Dot online video interpreting
- BSLcourses.co.uk: Provider of online BSL courses
- Association of Notetaking Professionals: The professional body representing Electronic and Manual Notetakers
- Sign Solutions: communication support, training and translation
- InterpretersLive: On demand BSL video interpretation
- Hamilton Lodge School in Brighton: education for Deaf children
- Lipspeaker UK: specialist lipspeaking support
- Hearing Choices: Australian hearing aid specialists
- Elmfield School, Bristol: Inclusive education for Deaf pupils
- deafPLUS: BSL advice helpline
- Exeter Deaf Academy: education for Deaf children
- Royal Shakespeare Company: Captioned and BSL interpreted performances (see dates here)
- Royal School for the Deaf, Derby: Residential education for deaf children