The Manchester Evening News has reported how a deaf toddler was left to celebrate his birthday in silence after burglars stole his hearing aid.
(Please note: as our commenters have pointed out, children can learn sign language before they can learn to speak, contrary to the comments of the mother in the article)
A deaf toddler celebrated his birthday in silence after thieves stole his hearing aid.
Dominic Harrington’s lifeline aid was snatched last Friday, six days before his third birthday, during a raid on his family’s Smallbridge home.
It meant the tot was unable to hear his mum Samantha wish him ‘Happy birthday’ on his big day on Thursday.
Mum-of-five Samantha said: “Everybody takes for granted saying things like night, night and I love you.
“But it’s his birthday and he won’t hear me say ‘Happy birthday’, he won’t understand.
“He can’t talk yet and he’s too young to learn sign language.”
The hearing aid was stolen during a burglary at the family’s Halifax Road home at around 10.40pm on Friday May 2.
Samantha and Dominic were upstairs with his siblings Libby, 10, Ryan, nine, Vikki, seven, and Alex, four when burglars sneaked into the house and snatched a laptop and the handbag containing the aid and birthday cash.
The Limping Chicken is the UK’s deaf blogs and news website, and is the world’s most popular deaf blog. It is edited by Deaf journalist and filmmaker Charlie Swinbourne.
- Phonak: innovative technology and products in hearing acoustics
- Ai-Live: Check out 15 Heartwarming Whispers about Deafness
- Bellman & Symfon: home alerting solutions
- Deaf Umbrella: sign language interpreting and communications support
- Clarion: BSL/English interpreting and employment services
- Appa: Communication services for Deaf, Deafblind and hard of hearing people
- SignVideo: Instant BSL video interpreting online
- 121 Captions: captioning and speech-to-text services
- Hearing Direct: Online hearing aids
- Doncaster School for the Deaf: education for Deaf children
- Signworld: online BSL learning and teaching materials
- DCAL: Find out how to study at the Deafness Cognition and Language Research Centre, London
- Signed Culture: Advocating for BSL access to arts and culture
- Sarah Gatford: BSL interpreting, training and consultancy
- SignHealth: healthcare charity for Deaf people
- CJ Interpreting: communication support in BSL
- Sign Solutions:, language and learning
- Sign Lingual: BSL interpreting and communication services
- Action Deafness Communications: sign language and Red Dot online video interpreting
- SDHH: Project Development and Consultancy
- Mykasoft: Deaf-run Web Design Studio
- BSLcourses.co.uk: Provider of online BSL courses
- British Society for Mental Health and Deafness: Promoting positive mental health for deaf people
- deafPLUS: Money advice line in BSL
- Hamilton Lodge School in Brighton: education for Deaf children
- Lipspeaker UK: specialist lipspeaking support
- Ozen: Australian hearing aid specialists
- Elmfield School, Bristol: Inclusive education for Deaf pupils
- Krazy Kat: visual theatre with BSL
- Exeter Deaf Academy: education for Deaf children