The Manchester Evening News has reported how a deaf toddler was left to celebrate his birthday in silence after burglars stole his hearing aid.
(Please note: as our commenters have pointed out, children can learn sign language before they can learn to speak, contrary to the comments of the mother in the article)
A deaf toddler celebrated his birthday in silence after thieves stole his hearing aid.
Dominic Harrington’s lifeline aid was snatched last Friday, six days before his third birthday, during a raid on his family’s Smallbridge home.
It meant the tot was unable to hear his mum Samantha wish him ‘Happy birthday’ on his big day on Thursday.
Mum-of-five Samantha said: “Everybody takes for granted saying things like night, night and I love you.
“But it’s his birthday and he won’t hear me say ‘Happy birthday’, he won’t understand.
“He can’t talk yet and he’s too young to learn sign language.”
The hearing aid was stolen during a burglary at the family’s Halifax Road home at around 10.40pm on Friday May 2.
Samantha and Dominic were upstairs with his siblings Libby, 10, Ryan, nine, Vikki, seven, and Alex, four when burglars sneaked into the house and snatched a laptop and the handbag containing the aid and birthday cash.
The Limping Chicken is the UK’s deaf blogs and news website, and is the world’s most popular deaf blog. It is edited by Deaf journalist and filmmaker Charlie Swinbourne.
Please note that the views of the writers are their own, and not necessarily the views of the Editor or site as a whole. Read our disclaimer here.
- Rayovac: Never run out of hearing aid batteries again by subscribing!
- Ai-Media: Remote captioning. Find out how to add Live Captions to Facebook Live!
- Bellman & Symfon: home alerting solutions
- Deaf Umbrella: sign language interpreting and communications support
- Appa: Communication services for Deaf, Deafblind and hard of hearing people
- SignLive: Online video interpreting for Deaf people
- SignVideo: Instant BSL video interpreting online
- 121 Captions: captioning and speech-to-text services
- Hearing Direct: Online hearing aids
- Signature: Leading awarding body for BSL qualifications
- Signworld: Learn BSL online!
- Cast Theatre, Doncaster: The UK's the UK’s first fully BSL integrated pantomime
- The National Theatre: Captioned and BSL accessible theatre in London
- Doncaster School for the Deaf: education for Deaf children
- Sign Solutions: communication support, training and translation
- InterpretersLive: On demand BSL video interpretation
- Hamilton Lodge School in Brighton: education for Deaf children
- Lipspeaker UK: specialist lipspeaking support
- Ozen: Australian hearing aid specialists
- Elmfield School, Bristol: Inclusive education for Deaf pupils
- deafPLUS: BSL advice helpline
- Exeter Deaf Academy: education for Deaf children
- Royal Shakespeare Company: Captioned and BSL interpreted performances (see dates here)
- Royal School for the Deaf, Derby: Residential education for deaf children
- RAD Tax Advice: Tax and Tax Credit info for Deaf people
- Deaf Independent: Deaf care and support services
- Performance Interpreting: BSL interpreting at concerts
- National Deaf Children's Society: The leading charity for deaf children
- cSeeker: Deaf-led educational communication support service
- Signed Culture: Advocating for BSL access to arts and culture
- SignHealth: healthcare charity for Deaf people
- CJ Interpreting: communication support in BSL
- Action Deafness Communications: sign language and Red Dot online video interpreting
- BSLcourses.co.uk: Provider of online BSL courses
- British Society for Mental Health and Deafness: Promoting positive mental health for deaf people