This is a sponsored post.
Join critically acclaimed actor and performance artist Mat Fraser for a journey through the history of disability – a history lesson with a difference.
Mat Fraser’s intriguing and sometimes challenging live act uses museum objects and their histories through a blend of drama, comedy and cabaret, film and music hall pastiche, to prompt us to question and rethink our own, as well as society’s, attitudes towards difference.
Drawing on inspiration gained from sifting through the many objects, medical specimens, photographs and papers held in museum collections, Mat explores the part that medical advances and the development of the medical profession have historically played in shaping our present day perceptions of disability.
Cabinet of Curiosities was commissioned by the Research Centre for Museums and Galleries at the University of Leicester.
THACKRAY MEDICAL MUSEUM, LEEDS
THURSDAY 5 JUNE 2014, 7PM
(drinks reception from 6.15pm)
Tickets: 0113 205 6521
or 0113 205 6526
Access: 0113 205 6526
THE SILK MILL, DERBY
MONDAY 9 JUNE 2014, 7PM
(drinks reception from 6.15pm)
Tickets: 01332 641901
Access: 01332 641901
TUESDAY 10 JUNE 2014, 7.30PM
(drinks reception from 6.30pm)
Tickets: 0161 275 2635
Access: 0161 275 2648
All performances will be BSL interpreted. For more information and for tickets please contact the venue.
A discussion will follow each show.
The Limping Chicken is the world's most popular Deaf blog, and is edited by Deaf journalist and filmmaker Charlie Swinbourne. Find out how to write for us by clicking here, how to follow us by clicking here, and read our disclaimer here.
The site exists thanks to our supporters. Check them out below:
- Ai-Media: Remote captioning. Find out about the Deaf fashion bloggers taking on the world!
- Bellman & Symfon: home alerting solutions
- Deaf Umbrella: sign language interpreting and communications support
- Appa: Communication services for Deaf, Deafblind and hard of hearing people
- SignLive: Online video interpreting for Deaf people
- SignVideo: Instant BSL video interpreting online
- 121 Captions: captioning and speech-to-text services
- Signature: Leading awarding body for BSL qualifications
- The National Theatre: Captioned and BSL accessible theatre in London
- Doncaster School for the Deaf: education for Deaf children
- Signworld: Learn BSL online!
- Action Deafness Communications: sign language and Red Dot online video interpreting
- BSLcourses.co.uk: Provider of online BSL courses
- Association of Notetaking Professionals: The professional body representing Electronic and Manual Notetakers
- Sign Solutions: communication support, training and translation
- InterpretersLive: On demand BSL video interpretation
- Cast Theatre, Doncaster: The UK's the UK’s first fully BSL integrated pantomime
- Hamilton Lodge School in Brighton: education for Deaf children
- Lipspeaker UK: specialist lipspeaking support
- Ozen: Australian hearing aid specialists
- Elmfield School, Bristol: Inclusive education for Deaf pupils
- deafPLUS: BSL advice helpline
- Exeter Deaf Academy: education for Deaf children
- Royal Shakespeare Company: Captioned and BSL interpreted performances (see dates here)
- Royal School for the Deaf, Derby: Residential education for deaf children
- RAD Tax Advice: Tax and Tax Credit info for Deaf people
- Deaf Independent: Deaf care and support services
- Performance Interpreting: BSL interpreting at concerts
- National Deaf Children's Society: The leading charity for deaf children
- Signed Culture: Advocating for BSL access to arts and culture
- SignHealth: healthcare charity for Deaf people
- CJ Interpreting: communication support in BSL
- British Society for Mental Health and Deafness: Promoting positive mental health for deaf people