This is a sponsored post.
Join critically acclaimed actor and performance artist Mat Fraser for a journey through the history of disability – a history lesson with a difference.
Mat Fraser’s intriguing and sometimes challenging live act uses museum objects and their histories through a blend of drama, comedy and cabaret, film and music hall pastiche, to prompt us to question and rethink our own, as well as society’s, attitudes towards difference.
Drawing on inspiration gained from sifting through the many objects, medical specimens, photographs and papers held in museum collections, Mat explores the part that medical advances and the development of the medical profession have historically played in shaping our present day perceptions of disability.
Cabinet of Curiosities was commissioned by the Research Centre for Museums and Galleries at the University of Leicester.
THACKRAY MEDICAL MUSEUM, LEEDS
THURSDAY 5 JUNE 2014, 7PM
(drinks reception from 6.15pm)
Tickets: 0113 205 6521
or 0113 205 6526
Access: 0113 205 6526
THE SILK MILL, DERBY
MONDAY 9 JUNE 2014, 7PM
(drinks reception from 6.15pm)
Tickets: 01332 641901
Access: 01332 641901
TUESDAY 10 JUNE 2014, 7.30PM
(drinks reception from 6.30pm)
Tickets: 0161 275 2635
Access: 0161 275 2648
All performances will be BSL interpreted. For more information and for tickets please contact the venue.
A discussion will follow each show.
The Limping Chicken is the UK’s deaf blogs and news website, and is the world’s most popular deaf blog. It is edited by Deaf journalist and filmmaker Charlie Swinbourne.
Please note that the views of the writers are their own, and not necessarily the views of the Editor or site as a whole. Read our disclaimer here.
- Phonak: innovative technology and products in hearing acoustics
- Ai-Media: Remote captioning. How to turn on captions on your smartphone
- Bellman & Symfon: home alerting solutions
- Deaf Umbrella: sign language interpreting and communications support
- Appa: Communication services for Deaf, Deafblind and hard of hearing people
- Signature: Find out about the Signature conference here.
- SignVideo: Instant BSL video interpreting online
- 121 Captions: captioning and speech-to-text services
- Hearing Direct: Online hearing aids
- The National Theatre: Captioned and BSL accessible theatre in London
- Doncaster School for the Deaf: education for Deaf children
- SignLive: Online video interpreting for Deaf people
- Royal Shakespeare Company: Captioned and BSL interpreted performances (see dates here)
- Royal School for the Deaf, Derby: Residential education for deaf children
- RAD Tax Advice: Tax and Tax Credit info for Deaf people
- Deaf Independent: Deaf care and support services
- Signworld: online BSL learning and teaching materials
- Performance Interpreting: BSL interpreting at concerts
- National Deaf Children's Society: The leading charity for deaf children
- DCAL: Find out how to study at the Deafness Cognition and Language Research Centre, London
- cSeeker: Deaf-led educational communication support service
- Signed Culture: Advocating for BSL access to arts and culture
- SignHealth: healthcare charity for Deaf people
- CJ Interpreting: communication support in BSL
- Sign Solutions:, language and learning
- Action Deafness Communications: sign language and Red Dot online video interpreting
- BSLcourses.co.uk: Provider of online BSL courses
- British Society for Mental Health and Deafness: Promoting positive mental health for deaf people
- deafPLUS: Money advice line in BSL
- Hamilton Lodge School in Brighton: education for Deaf children
- Lipspeaker UK: specialist lipspeaking support
- Ozen: Australian hearing aid specialists
- Elmfield School, Bristol: Inclusive education for Deaf pupils
- Exeter Deaf Academy: education for Deaf children