Members of the subtitle campaign group Love Subtitles have been contacted by Sky TV and been given an indication that subtitles will be added to online and on demand content sooner rather than later.
While no firm details can be revealed yet, a member of the group said that a source from Sky had been in touch and given them information that could ‘spell good news in the near future’. It is not known how credible the source from Sky is but the leaders of the group are taking the information seriously and hoping that changes will be announced soon.
The news will be welcomed by campaigners who are fresh from securing a commitment from Amazon that they would subtitle their on demand content. Yesterday we reported how subtitle campaigners were gearing up to take on Sky after a complaint was posted on the Facebook page and drew hundreds of likes and comments.
Subtitles are widely available on Sky channels but absent from their Sky Go and On Demand services. Subtitles are also absent from many independent channels available on the Sky platform.
Michelle Hedley of the Love Subtitles group said: “We are not sure how much faith we can put in the information we have.”
“Please keep sharing the petition link and continue to tweet, post email and even live chat with Sky. Just let them know how much we value subtitles so its important that people keep the pressure up by signing and sharing the petition asking Sky to subtitle their content.”
By Andy Palmer, Deputy Editor.
The Limping Chicken is the UK’s independent deaf news and deaf blogs website, posting the very latest in deaf opinion, commentary and news, every weekday! Don’t forget to follow the site on Twitter and Facebook, and check out our supporters on the right-hand side of this site or click here.
The Limping Chicken is the UK’s deaf blogs and news website, and is the world’s most popular deaf blog. It is edited by Deaf journalist and filmmaker Charlie Swinbourne.
Please note that the views of the writers are their own, and not necessarily the views of the Editor or site as a whole. Read our disclaimer here.
- Rayovac: Never run out of hearing aid batteries again by subscribing!
- Ai-Media: Remote captioning. How to make Live Automated Captions with Apple’s Latest 'Clips' App
- Bellman & Symfon: home alerting solutions
- Deaf Umbrella: sign language interpreting and communications support
- Appa: Communication services for Deaf, Deafblind and hard of hearing people
- SignLive: Online video interpreting for Deaf people
- SignVideo: Instant BSL video interpreting online
- 121 Captions: captioning and speech-to-text services
- Hearing Direct: Online hearing aids
- Signature: Leading awarding body for BSL qualifications
- Signworld: Learn BSL online!
- Cast Theatre, Doncaster: The UK's the UK’s first fully BSL integrated pantomime
- The National Theatre: Captioned and BSL accessible theatre in London
- Doncaster School for the Deaf: education for Deaf children
- Sign Solutions: communication support, training and translation
- InterpretersLive: On demand BSL video interpretation
- Hamilton Lodge School in Brighton: education for Deaf children
- Lipspeaker UK: specialist lipspeaking support
- Ozen: Australian hearing aid specialists
- Elmfield School, Bristol: Inclusive education for Deaf pupils
- deafPLUS: BSL advice helpline
- Exeter Deaf Academy: education for Deaf children
- Royal Shakespeare Company: Captioned and BSL interpreted performances (see dates here)
- Royal School for the Deaf, Derby: Residential education for deaf children
- RAD Tax Advice: Tax and Tax Credit info for Deaf people
- Deaf Independent: Deaf care and support services
- Performance Interpreting: BSL interpreting at concerts
- National Deaf Children's Society: The leading charity for deaf children
- cSeeker: Deaf-led educational communication support service
- Signed Culture: Advocating for BSL access to arts and culture
- SignHealth: healthcare charity for Deaf people
- CJ Interpreting: communication support in BSL
- Action Deafness Communications: sign language and Red Dot online video interpreting
- BSLcourses.co.uk: Provider of online BSL courses
- British Society for Mental Health and Deafness: Promoting positive mental health for deaf people