A Deaf man has been cleared of murder and manslaughter after an incident in which a Deaf actor died.
Deaf actor Vitalis Katakinas died one week after the incident, which occurred outside a London pub following a Deaf event in July last year.
Today, Matthew Powe was found not guilty of murder and manslaughter after claiming he had acted in self defence.
This extract comes from the Islington Gazette:
A Crouch End man accused of killing a deaf Shakespeare actor with a single punch broke down in tears as he walked free from court.
Matthew Powe was acquitted of murder and the lesser alternative of manslaughter at the Old Bailey jury on Monday.
The 30-year-old had told the court he was acting in self defence when hit Vitalis Katakinas – acclaimed for his performance in a deaf production of Shakespeare’s Love Labour’s Lost – at the White Swan Pub, in Highbury, on June 29 last year.
Mr Katakinas suffered severe head injuries and died a week later.
Read the story at the Islington Gazette here: http://www.islingtongazette.co.uk/news/crime-courts/crouch_end_man_cleared_of_murdering_acclaimed_deaf_actor_in_islington_1_3625519
Comments will not be permitted on this post.
The Limping Chicken is the world's most popular Deaf blog, and is edited by Deaf journalist and filmmaker Charlie Swinbourne.
The site exists thanks to our supporters. Check them out below:
- Signature: Leading awarding body for BSL qualifications
- Ai-Media: Remote captioning. Find out the benefits of live captioning at university!
- Bellman & Symfon: home alerting solutions
- Deaf Umbrella: sign language interpreting and communications support
- BSL Zone: TV programmes in BSL for the Deaf community
- Stellar Communications: Speech-to-Text services
- Appa: Communication services for Deaf, Deafblind and hard of hearing people
- SignLive: Online video interpreting for Deaf people
- SignVideo: Instant BSL video interpreting online
- 121 Captions: captioning and speech-to-text services
- Eyewitness Media: TV and film from a Deaf perspective
- The National Theatre: Captioned and BSL accessible theatre in London
- Doncaster School for the Deaf: education for Deaf children
- Signworld: Learn BSL online!
- Helen Foulkes Translations: BSL translations
- RAD Tax Advice: Tax and Tax Credit info for Deaf people
- Performance Interpreting: BSL interpreting at concerts
- National Deaf Children's Society: The leading charity for deaf children
- Signed Culture: Advocating for BSL access to arts and culture
- SignHealth: healthcare charity for Deaf people
- CJ Interpreting: communication support in BSL
- British Society for Mental Health and Deafness: Promoting positive mental health for deaf people
- Action Deafness Communications: sign language and Red Dot online video interpreting
- BSLcourses.co.uk: Provider of online BSL courses
- Association of Notetaking Professionals: The professional body representing Electronic and Manual Notetakers
- Sign Solutions: communication support, training and translation
- InterpretersLive: On demand BSL video interpretation
- Hamilton Lodge School in Brighton: education for Deaf children
- Lipspeaker UK: specialist lipspeaking support
- Hearing Choices: Australian hearing aid specialists
- Elmfield School, Bristol: Inclusive education for Deaf pupils
- deafPLUS: BSL advice helpline
- Exeter Deaf Academy: education for Deaf children
- Royal Shakespeare Company: Captioned and BSL interpreted performances (see dates here)
- Royal School for the Deaf, Derby: Residential education for deaf children