Newcastle-under-Lyme based Charity DEAFvibe has been awarded the Queen’s Award for Voluntary Service for its work in improving services and access for Deaf, Hard of Hearing and Deafblind people living in Stoke-on-Trent and Staffordshire.
Co-Founder of DEAFvibe, Alison France and Chair Julie Hart issued a joint statement saying, “The volunteers of DEAFvibe are absolutely delighted to hear that we have been awarded the Queen’s Award for Voluntary Service for our work with deaf, hard of hearing and deaf-blind people as well as their families, friends and carers in the Staffordshire area.
“Deafness can be very isolating and the volunteers of DEAFvibe offer accessible services that ensure that all deaf people are treated equally and with respect. We provide access, information and communication with full participation in the wider community. This award recognises the hard work that DEAFvibe has achieved since its launch in February 2010 and we feel very privileged to be selected as a winner of this prestigious award.”
Delegates from DEAFvibe have been invited to attend Buckingham Palace on Tuesday 10th June 2014 to represent the Charity at the Royal Garden Party.
A further presentation will take place in the coming months in which a Certificate signed by Her Majesty, The Queen and a Crystal Award will be presented to DEAFvibe by the Lord Lieutenant or his delegated representative.
To find out more about DEAFvibe, go to: http://www.deafvibe.co.uk/
The Limping Chicken is the world's most popular Deaf blog, and is edited by Deaf journalist and filmmaker Charlie Swinbourne.
The site exists thanks to our supporters. Check them out below:
- Signature: Leading awarding body for BSL qualifications
- Ai-Media: Remote captioning. Find out the benefits of live captioning at university!
- Bellman & Symfon: home alerting solutions
- Deaf Umbrella: sign language interpreting and communications support
- BSL Zone: TV programmes in BSL for the Deaf community
- Stellar Communications: Speech-to-Text services
- Appa: Communication services for Deaf, Deafblind and hard of hearing people
- SignLive: Online video interpreting for Deaf people
- SignVideo: Instant BSL video interpreting online
- 121 Captions: captioning and speech-to-text services
- Eyewitness Media: TV and film from a Deaf perspective
- The National Theatre: Captioned and BSL accessible theatre in London
- Doncaster School for the Deaf: education for Deaf children
- Signworld: Learn BSL online!
- Helen Foulkes Translations: BSL translations
- RAD Tax Advice: Tax and Tax Credit info for Deaf people
- Performance Interpreting: BSL interpreting at concerts
- National Deaf Children's Society: The leading charity for deaf children
- Signed Culture: Advocating for BSL access to arts and culture
- SignHealth: healthcare charity for Deaf people
- CJ Interpreting: communication support in BSL
- British Society for Mental Health and Deafness: Promoting positive mental health for deaf people
- Action Deafness Communications: sign language and Red Dot online video interpreting
- BSLcourses.co.uk: Provider of online BSL courses
- Association of Notetaking Professionals: The professional body representing Electronic and Manual Notetakers
- Sign Solutions: communication support, training and translation
- InterpretersLive: On demand BSL video interpretation
- Hamilton Lodge School in Brighton: education for Deaf children
- Lipspeaker UK: specialist lipspeaking support
- Hearing Choices: Australian hearing aid specialists
- Elmfield School, Bristol: Inclusive education for Deaf pupils
- deafPLUS: BSL advice helpline
- Exeter Deaf Academy: education for Deaf children
- Royal Shakespeare Company: Captioned and BSL interpreted performances (see dates here)
- Royal School for the Deaf, Derby: Residential education for deaf children