A man from Tewkesbury has been jailed for stealing over £40,000 from his own mother, who is almost completely deaf.
Simon Crutchley conned his own elderly mother, Joan, out of the money and used it to pay off his own debts. He told his mother that he was ‘looking after’ her finances, but was in fact destroying her bank statements and preventing carers from opening her post.
The pair had only recently been reconciled after more than ten years of estrangement. Mrs. Crutchley had contacted her son in 2010 after she became ill.
Crutchley fraudulently withdrew the money four times over several months, resulting in him stealing more than £42,700 from her. He used this to help pay off credit card and loan debts, as well as his mortgage.
Jailing him for 16 months at Wolverhampton Crown Court, Judge Martin Walsh said;
‘She was extremely vulnerable. These offences are so serious they cross the custody threshold.’
The prosecution team said; “This money was essentially Mrs Crutchley’s life savings which she was using to pay for her car, and she wanted to stay in her own home.”
The defence said; “He lost his job and his outgoings exceeded his income. He took advantage of her and is ashamed of the way he behaved.”
By Emily Howlett
The Limping Chicken is the world's most popular Deaf blog, and is edited by Deaf journalist and filmmaker Charlie Swinbourne. Find out how to write for us by clicking here, how to follow us by clicking here, and read our disclaimer here.
The site exists thanks to our supporters. Check them out below:
- Signature: Leading awarding body for BSL qualifications
- Ai-Media: Remote captioning. Find out about 5 funny ways to use captions!
- Bellman & Symfon: home alerting solutions
- Deaf Umbrella: sign language interpreting and communications support
- Eyewitness Media: TV and film from a Deaf perspective
- Appa: Communication services for Deaf, Deafblind and hard of hearing people
- SignLive: Online video interpreting for Deaf people
- SignVideo: Instant BSL video interpreting online
- 121 Captions: captioning and speech-to-text services
- The National Theatre: Captioned and BSL accessible theatre in London
- Doncaster School for the Deaf: education for Deaf children
- Signworld: Learn BSL online!
- Action Deafness Communications: sign language and Red Dot online video interpreting
- BSLcourses.co.uk: Provider of online BSL courses
- Association of Notetaking Professionals: The professional body representing Electronic and Manual Notetakers
- Sign Solutions: communication support, training and translation
- InterpretersLive: On demand BSL video interpretation
- Hamilton Lodge School in Brighton: education for Deaf children
- Lipspeaker UK: specialist lipspeaking support
- Ozen: Australian hearing aid specialists
- Elmfield School, Bristol: Inclusive education for Deaf pupils
- deafPLUS: BSL advice helpline
- Exeter Deaf Academy: education for Deaf children
- Royal Shakespeare Company: Captioned and BSL interpreted performances (see dates here)
- Royal School for the Deaf, Derby: Residential education for deaf children
- RAD Tax Advice: Tax and Tax Credit info for Deaf people
- Performance Interpreting: BSL interpreting at concerts
- National Deaf Children's Society: The leading charity for deaf children
- Signed Culture: Advocating for BSL access to arts and culture
- SignHealth: healthcare charity for Deaf people
- CJ Interpreting: communication support in BSL
- British Society for Mental Health and Deafness: Promoting positive mental health for deaf people