A new initiative from our supporter Deaf Umbrella and soft drinks company Coca Cola will see two Deaf people each month having a one week work experience placement at the company’s bottling plant in Sidcup.
The placements are available for those aged from 16 to 60, who are referred by their Job Centre, and they receive full BSL support.
They then gain admin experience within the distribution department (where they move out lorries holding 75,000 drinks bottles each!). Or they can work in the quality assurance department, where health and safety is paramount.
One placement has already taken place, with one of the candidates saying: “I would like to go back again because I have really enjoyed the experience”. Rachel Hubbard from Deaf Umbrella said: “With tours of the factory and tasting the Coca Cola straight off of the production line it really is an interesting experience”.
There was further success for Deaf Umbrella last week, with Rachel Hubbard winning Entrepreneur of the Year at the London Business Awards, and the company also being Highly Commended for their Training & Development programmes.
If you would like to learn more about the work experience placements at Coca Cola, where you can work for one week in an office environment with full BSL support, then contact Rachel@deafumbrella.com or your local JobCentre advisor.
The Limping Chicken is the world's most popular Deaf blog, and is edited by Deaf journalist and filmmaker Charlie Swinbourne. Find out how to write for us by clicking here, how to follow us by clicking here, and read our disclaimer here.
The site exists thanks to our supporters. Check them out below:
- Ai-Media: Remote captioning. Find out about the Deaf fashion bloggers taking on the world!
- Bellman & Symfon: home alerting solutions
- Deaf Umbrella: sign language interpreting and communications support
- Appa: Communication services for Deaf, Deafblind and hard of hearing people
- SignLive: Online video interpreting for Deaf people
- SignVideo: Instant BSL video interpreting online
- 121 Captions: captioning and speech-to-text services
- Signature: Leading awarding body for BSL qualifications
- The National Theatre: Captioned and BSL accessible theatre in London
- Doncaster School for the Deaf: education for Deaf children
- Signworld: Learn BSL online!
- Association of Notetaking Professionals: The professional body representing Electronic and Manual Notetakers
- Sign Solutions: communication support, training and translation
- InterpretersLive: On demand BSL video interpretation
- Cast Theatre, Doncaster: The UK's the UK’s first fully BSL integrated pantomime
- Hamilton Lodge School in Brighton: education for Deaf children
- Lipspeaker UK: specialist lipspeaking support
- Ozen: Australian hearing aid specialists
- Elmfield School, Bristol: Inclusive education for Deaf pupils
- deafPLUS: BSL advice helpline
- Exeter Deaf Academy: education for Deaf children
- Royal Shakespeare Company: Captioned and BSL interpreted performances (see dates here)
- Royal School for the Deaf, Derby: Residential education for deaf children
- RAD Tax Advice: Tax and Tax Credit info for Deaf people
- Deaf Independent: Deaf care and support services
- Performance Interpreting: BSL interpreting at concerts
- National Deaf Children's Society: The leading charity for deaf children
- cSeeker: Deaf-led educational communication support service
- Signed Culture: Advocating for BSL access to arts and culture
- SignHealth: healthcare charity for Deaf people
- CJ Interpreting: communication support in BSL
- Action Deafness Communications: sign language and Red Dot online video interpreting
- BSLcourses.co.uk: Provider of online BSL courses
- British Society for Mental Health and Deafness: Promoting positive mental health for deaf people