In 2000 I graduated from Wolverhampton University with a British Sign Language/English Interpreting degree and have since worked in a variety of settings within the mainstream Deaf community.
However, in addition to my everyday interpreting and workshops, I also have the unique position of being the only British Asian, Muslim-born, male RSLI (Registered Sign Language Interpreter) in the UK to date.
This is extremely rare but has enabled me to become more involved with the Deaf Muslim community as a BSL Interpreter with additional language and cultural skills.
These unique skills allow me to simultaneously interpret between Arabic and Urdu in addition to BSL and English!
However, here in the UK, a complete lack of this unique, communication provision is one of the biggest obstacles faced by the Deaf Muslim community. It creates complex barriers to accessing any Islamic education, which in turn has huge consequences to Deaf Muslim identity and sense of belonging.
Now, in addition to that, I have since published a Book titled: ‘Deaf Muslims Searching for Islam’.
This work aims to provide an insight into the complexities experienced by the UK’s Deaf Muslim community in 2014. It raises many points of concern and interest.
It considers many contributing factors including a lack of: access to bi/trilingual modes of communication, funding, appropriately qualified professionals and the social impact on the home & family environment.
It examines the issues, barriers, consequences, the impact this has and what considerations should be made for any future provision. A book will soon be available to purchase but in the meantime the online book can be downloaded here for Kindle or here for other devices.
Tariq Mahmood is the founder of TariqDeafUK (TDUK ) and is (as far as he knows) the UK’s only fully qualified and fully NRCPD registered provider of BSL interpreting to the British Deaf Muslim Community. The Limping Chicken is the UK’s independent deaf news and blogs website, posting the very latest in deaf opinion, commentary and news, every weekday! Don’t forget to follow the site on Twitter and Facebook, and check out our supporters here.
The Limping Chicken is the world's most popular Deaf blog, and is edited by Deaf journalist and filmmaker Charlie Swinbourne. Find out how to write for us by clicking here, how to follow us by clicking here, and read our disclaimer here.
The site exists thanks to our supporters. Check them out below:
- Signature: Leading awarding body for BSL qualifications
- Ai-Media: Remote captioning. Find out about 5 funny ways to use captions!
- Bellman & Symfon: home alerting solutions
- Deaf Umbrella: sign language interpreting and communications support
- Eyewitness Media: TV and film from a Deaf perspective
- Appa: Communication services for Deaf, Deafblind and hard of hearing people
- SignLive: Online video interpreting for Deaf people
- SignVideo: Instant BSL video interpreting online
- 121 Captions: captioning and speech-to-text services
- The National Theatre: Captioned and BSL accessible theatre in London
- Doncaster School for the Deaf: education for Deaf children
- Signworld: Learn BSL online!
- Action Deafness Communications: sign language and Red Dot online video interpreting
- BSLcourses.co.uk: Provider of online BSL courses
- Association of Notetaking Professionals: The professional body representing Electronic and Manual Notetakers
- Sign Solutions: communication support, training and translation
- InterpretersLive: On demand BSL video interpretation
- Hamilton Lodge School in Brighton: education for Deaf children
- Lipspeaker UK: specialist lipspeaking support
- Ozen: Australian hearing aid specialists
- Elmfield School, Bristol: Inclusive education for Deaf pupils
- deafPLUS: BSL advice helpline
- Exeter Deaf Academy: education for Deaf children
- Royal Shakespeare Company: Captioned and BSL interpreted performances (see dates here)
- Royal School for the Deaf, Derby: Residential education for deaf children
- RAD Tax Advice: Tax and Tax Credit info for Deaf people
- Performance Interpreting: BSL interpreting at concerts
- National Deaf Children's Society: The leading charity for deaf children
- Signed Culture: Advocating for BSL access to arts and culture
- SignHealth: healthcare charity for Deaf people
- CJ Interpreting: communication support in BSL
- British Society for Mental Health and Deafness: Promoting positive mental health for deaf people