The Edinburgh News has reported on claims of a “toxic” culture at Donaldson’s Deaf School in Edinburgh, Scotland.
Concerns are growing for the school after a recent indecent assault case and the departure of its Chief Executive. Now, reports suggest that five staff members who expressed a grievance one year ago may not have had their complaints dealt with.
SCOTLAND’S national deaf school is mired in a “toxic” culture of endemic bullying, lack of transparency and incompetence, senior staff have claimed.
Five key staff members are still waiting for final resolution of a collective grievance lodged with Donaldson’s School more than a year ago to highlight management failings and call for change.
One of those involved has warned the Linlithgow-based institution – Scotland’s national school for children who are deaf or have hearing difficulties – is in “crisis”.
It is understood no official hearings have taken place in relation to grievance statements provided by staff members and that complaints are still outstanding with no clear or immediate prospect of an outcome.
Click here to read the full article: http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/education/toxic-culture-at-scotland-s-national-deaf-school-1-3468425
The Limping Chicken is the world's most popular Deaf blog, and is edited by Deaf journalist and filmmaker Charlie Swinbourne. Find out how to write for us by clicking here, how to follow us by clicking here, and read our disclaimer here.
The site exists thanks to our supporters. Check them out below:
- Signature: Leading awarding body for BSL qualifications
- Ai-Media: Remote captioning. Find out about 6 awesome accessibility apps!
- Bellman & Symfon: home alerting solutions
- Deaf Umbrella: sign language interpreting and communications support
- Eyewitness Media: TV and film from a Deaf perspective
- Appa: Communication services for Deaf, Deafblind and hard of hearing people
- SignLive: Online video interpreting for Deaf people
- SignVideo: Instant BSL video interpreting online
- 121 Captions: captioning and speech-to-text services
- The National Theatre: Captioned and BSL accessible theatre in London
- Doncaster School for the Deaf: education for Deaf children
- Signworld: Learn BSL online!
- Action Deafness Communications: sign language and Red Dot online video interpreting
- BSLcourses.co.uk: Provider of online BSL courses
- Association of Notetaking Professionals: The professional body representing Electronic and Manual Notetakers
- Sign Solutions: communication support, training and translation
- InterpretersLive: On demand BSL video interpretation
- Hamilton Lodge School in Brighton: education for Deaf children
- Lipspeaker UK: specialist lipspeaking support
- Ozen: Australian hearing aid specialists
- Elmfield School, Bristol: Inclusive education for Deaf pupils
- deafPLUS: BSL advice helpline
- Exeter Deaf Academy: education for Deaf children
- Royal Shakespeare Company: Captioned and BSL interpreted performances (see dates here)
- Royal School for the Deaf, Derby: Residential education for deaf children
- RAD Tax Advice: Tax and Tax Credit info for Deaf people
- Performance Interpreting: BSL interpreting at concerts
- National Deaf Children's Society: The leading charity for deaf children
- Signed Culture: Advocating for BSL access to arts and culture
- SignHealth: healthcare charity for Deaf people
- CJ Interpreting: communication support in BSL
- British Society for Mental Health and Deafness: Promoting positive mental health for deaf people